SMC Discussion Areas
June 21, 2024, 03:20:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Condensation on outside of Vendo 81A  (Read 9150 times)
Hollywood80
5 Cent Member

« on: August 16, 2009, 10:27:44 pm »

I have a vendo 81a that still gets a small amount of condensation about 12 inches long near the area of the coin door, but not on the coin door but on the edge of the main body next to the gasket.  I replaced the inside foam gasket and the rubber gasket around the perimeter of the door and the gasket over the door latch.  Most of the problem resolved with the above fixes except this one area.  The door closes very tight with the new door gasket, in fact I had to loosen the latch a little to close the door after replacing it.  My concern is that the paint appears to be "bubbling" a little were the condensation is happening.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Bob
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 10:56:35 pm »

First off Welcome to the Board!!
I don't recall of this issue coming up before. The only thing I can think of is if the main door seal is allowing cold air to escape in this area.
Smoke off a cheap cigar can help to find air leaks. Can you post a picture?
Creighton

coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 01:16:03 am »

Check the insulation behind the main door liner, There may be little or none left there.

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
Hollywood80
5 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 10:50:25 am »

Thanks for the welcome.  Have been viewing the site for months but this is my first post.  The areas of condensation are obviously an indication of a leak of cold air and the areas are very visible on a warm humid day.  In fact, I believe the problem has worsened the past week or so and is about as bad as it was before replacing the main door gasket.  I did not know about the insulation behind the inside door cover.  This cover is cracking and breaking off in the areas where the screws are.  Removing the screws to replace the cover did break off small pieces of the cover at the screw holes.  I did not remove the cover totally at that time because it didn't look to be simple, and I am simple.  This machine is outside under a very well covered patio.  I have had it for about 6 months.  My one and only.  A connection to my childhood.  I will attach a couple of pictures to try and show the condensation area, which now appears to be about 3 feet along the door and also some on the hinge side.

Bob
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 11:28:39 am »

You can buy a new door liner and gaskets from a couple of sources:
If you are on the west coast, I'd go with www.sodajerkworks.com
If you are on the east coast or closer to IL, then I'd go with www.fun-tronicsllc.com
It is in an oversized package, so cheaper to go with the supplier nearest you.
Insulation and be obtained from your local Home Depot or Lowe's, etc.
The liner is really easy to replace - unscrew the 30+ screws around the perimeter, fit the gasket around the new liner and screw them all back in. It might be easier to lift the door off its' hinges and lay it down on a padded blacket, but can be accomplished with the door still on the machine. Screwing the screws in a criss-cross fashion (kind of like the lugs on the wheel of a car) might make it easier.
If reusing the current gasket, clean it up and soak it with Armor-All prior to installation.
Good Luck!

P.S. Nice looking machine - I love the all red 81A's - Here is my all original one!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 11:30:59 am by collecture » Logged

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 03:04:39 pm »

Welcome aboard.

New door insulation and a liner will most likely solve your problem.  Like said above, a door liner is pretty easy to install.  If you run into trouble just ask here. 

That machine looks way to nice to be outside!!!  Here in the south, it would be ruined in no time at all.

Marvin
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 03:06:36 pm by Marvin » Logged
Hollywood80
5 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 06:36:19 pm »

Thanks for the info.  I will order a new liner and also replace the insulation.  The main door gasket is brand new.  Just installed it a couple of weeks ago.  Are there anyother gaskets I should be replacing?  The machine sets under a deck that has been finished off with a "Dry-B-Lo" water containment system.  The winters here (Portland, OR area) are occasionally cold with temps in the 20's.  How do I winterize if I wish to leave the machine outside? I apply a high quality auto wax every couple of weeks.  I would like to continue to use it all year if able.  I have seen custom made covers on some web site (which one eludes me at this time).  Anyone have experience wth these?  Thanks again, Bob

Bob
Hollywood80
5 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 06:43:48 pm »

Just curious..... My machine is not embossed with the "vendo" on the bottom.  Was this usually just a decal applied?

Bob
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 07:43:58 pm »

Your condensation is on the body, not the door. You need to remove the latch reciever and the breaker strip on the right hand side of the cabinet and stuff more insulation in there.

Glen
Hollywood80
5 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 09:06:05 pm »

Oh boy,  that sounds like something difficult to do.  Is it? Anywhere I can get some color by number instructions? I am very much a novice at this. Thanks, Bob

Bob
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: