SMC Discussion Areas
June 15, 2024, 06:05:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please explain: hammertone  (Read 9844 times)
rugrunner
10 Cent Member

« on: August 07, 2009, 08:35:14 pm »

Being new to this i have seen several references to hammertone. I assumed it was the color/type of paint one would use on the inside of a machine. i googled it and found it is a brand of paint that adheres only to metal (if i understand it right). So my question is this: is this only used on the inside of machines or does it come in colors that would work for the outside as well (have looked in dozens of hardware/big box stores but have not yet found it in person)?

I am thinking of making a fantasy machine out of my v56 (I was thinking of a Guinness machine). I am not at the level yet where i want to attempt a paint booth nor do I want to take this machine to a body shop. I want to make it look decent and fill it with beer for my own use in my garage. i also hope to make some mistakes and learn a few things before moving on to a more accurate restoration. 

Any info along these lines would be great. I am hoping to use this machine to get my feet wet and am not looking for perfection (as I have seen so much of in the restorations many of you guys do) yet.

Thanks,

Bill
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 08:58:54 pm »

Hammertone is the "finish" of the paint. It kind of fisheyes after it is sprayed and is good at hiding imperfections and flaws. It is also very durable. That is why many people use it on the internal parts.

I don't think a whole machine painted like that would look good. But the small exterior parts do look good like that.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 09:17:35 pm »

I actually did paint a 56 in Hammertone and it turned out alright - I made it for a friend. I too do not have the painting booth experience. I did break the machine down fully so I was painting the smallest parts possible.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
rugrunner
10 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 09:42:16 pm »

That did come out nice but I see what you mean about the strange color effect.

What type of spray paint (spray bomb? What the slang?) would you recommend for the outside of my starter machine?
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 09:56:35 pm »

I have used hammertone on the outside as well. On this machine in the pictures all of the green parts are hammertone. It turned out really nice like this. Also the insides and the metal door liner were painted in hammertone so here are some pictures to show what the pain looks like. Its very easy to paint if prepped well and it covers up flaws very well.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 10:05:11 pm »

Use a name brand, Krylon, or Rustoleum. If you're wanting to do a Guiness themed machine,  there are paint shops that can custom  mix the colors for you with a sample. I don't know how dead on   the stock green would be to be found.

I found for other projects, the Lowe's near me had the biggest selection of color choices. Your results will vary.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Pat Pixley
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 10:08:48 pm »

Hammer tone paint is what it sound like  Hammered to give a ballpin hammered effect look.
It works well on the inside the cabinet the shelfs and some small parts compressor decks
and  other parts
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 10:15:56 pm by Pat Pixley » Logged
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 10:57:02 pm »

A lot of 1940 / 50s gumball machines had this finish as well as the Stoner candy machines.... on those
items it looks killer I think... and it works awesome on shelving and the liner of soda machines and holds up really well... sorry to say I forgot who did a 6 month study on how well it stands up on the shelving....
after months it still look like new... holds up very very well....

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 01:25:13 am »

Eric - Joesquid did the tes a few years ago... Whatever happened to him... ?

I use hammerton on old vending macxhines where I don't want to spend the time getting all the pitted imperfections out. It covers them nicely but does give a different finish...

Our biggest maker is Hammerite, although I have notice one store now stocking Rustoleum which I am going to use on my next project..

Hammerite comes in hammered and smooth varieties. The smooth type is thicker than normal car paint and gives a better finish. You might want to go in that direction... Its much more forgiving than normal spray bomb painting....

Dave
rugrunner
10 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 08:35:31 am »

Use a name brand, Krylon, or Rustoleum. If you're wanting to do a Guiness themed machine,  there are paint shops that can custom  mix the colors for you with a sample. I don't know how dead on   the stock green would be to be found.

I found for other projects, the Lowe's near me had the biggest selection of color choices. Your results will vary.

So hammertone isn't a brand but a generic name for hammer finish paint by other companies? Then I have found lots of it after all... blush

I was thinking of painting the machine dark brown with green trim (stack, panel above coin door etc) but still thinking. maybe all green?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: