SMC Discussion Areas
July 03, 2024, 06:52:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: recomended tools etc  (Read 8566 times)
rugrunner
10 Cent Member

« on: July 28, 2009, 08:14:49 pm »

As someone new to all this I was perplexed when I looked at the inside of the V56 I just got to see screws with what I have since learned are called clutch heads.

I had to got to three hardware stores to find such a driver. This made me wonder- what tools do I need to attempt this?

So here is my question: what basic tools should I have and what would be considered intermediate and advanced tools?

Also are there any reference books that are helpful or must have?

Thanks again,

Bill
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 08:26:03 pm »

That should really be the only "special" tool you will need.  Everything else is mostly general hand tools / sockets type stuff.
Of course there are things that make stuff easier or faster, but they aren't really needed.

Marvin
Pat Pixley
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 10:28:45 pm »

As far as the clutch head Screws when you get them out  Replace them with  nice Stainless Steel philp head screws It will make thing a lot easier for you down the road, Cool
 for any repairs or if you sell it to someone else and they need to work on it.  Cool

As far as tools Like Marvin said a Real good set of hand tools Stop by Sears or True Value
or Ace hardware and treat your self once a Week or once a Month on a new tool  smile.

Remember you can't have enough tools
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 10:39:32 pm by Pat Pixley » Logged
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 10:52:08 pm »

Great question. Always meant to start a list and never got around to it :-)
Marvin is correct clutch driver is the only strange one. I would add:

PB Blaster to loosen rusted bolts/screws.
Simple Green and scotch pads to clean shelves liners etc..
Turtle Wax Polishing Compound for oxidized/dull paint.
Mothers Mag wheel polish for aluminum.
Digital camera to help getting it all back together.
I like cupcake pans to hold the misc parts. Labled Zip-Lock bags work well also.
Volt/Ohm meter to check electrical.
Dremal tool with cutoff wheel for the PITA screws.
Power washer
Air Compressor
And for Pat, heat gun to remove woodgrain :-)

Hope others add their must haves and maybe we can put something in the resource area.
Creighton

PS. Forgot to respond on the reference book question. The factory service manuals are your best bet. Reprints/scans are available but quality varies. Aplogies to the authors but I just don't think numbers listed in the price guides are valid anymore. The time delay to get a guide printed and the current buying power of most folks has lowered realistic values.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 12:23:51 am by Creighton » Logged
Pat Pixley
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 11:08:36 pm »

Creighton that is a great idea to do start a tool list smile
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 11:40:22 pm »

You can never have enough good toos around, and depending on your tool "budget" and how much restoring your going to do, you can go on an on.. Air compressor, sand blast cabinet, lets see.. paint booth, etc. biggrin
but for simple restoration, the tools mentioned from the other members here will work just great for you.
one think I like is a power screwdriver, not a power drill, but something slower with good torque , instead of hand unscrewing and screwing all the hardware you'll be taking off nad putting in..
Good luck!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 06:34:22 am »

Wire cutters, strippers, stakons, wire nuts, and crimpers are a must for electric. 

I love the six in one screw drivers with the 1/4" AND 5/16" built in sockets (small phillips and small staight blade in the 1/4" tube and the larger phillips and straight in the 5/16" side).

The only speciality tool that I have a few of is a split tipped screw driver to hold flat screws onto the screwdriver blade.  They're great for electromechanical games.  I'm sure it would apply for pop machines too.

Small crescent wrench and channel locks are also favorite tools of mine.

A magnetic bowl for screws is also handy.

A lot of stuff.
rugrunner
10 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 07:27:24 am »

Great suggestions! My two rules on tools are you can never have enough and never sell your tools. I considered selling my carpet tools when I went completely to tile work. With the economy as it is I have been scraping by doing mostly carpet jobs.

Couple of follow ups:

what is a PITA screw, a pb blaster, and a stakon?

Do you need a sand blasting cabinet or can you do it outside?
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 08:10:43 am »

Sta-kons are a brand of electrical connectors.  Here's an example.  I don't know what the other items are.

My old partner (in crime) used to say "It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have."  That's about the only thing I learned from him.

A lot of stuff.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 08:54:42 am »

PB Blaster is a loosening agent like Liquid Wrench. I use it occasionally - it works well.
PITA is short for a 'Pain In The A**' screw!
My favorite tool is my magnetic tipped screwdriver with interchangable tips - I have slotted, phillips and chutch head all-in-one.
Next favorite is my impact screwdriver. It works well for getting those PITA screws out.
Great Topic!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: