SMC Discussion Areas
July 02, 2024, 03:56:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone Good and restoring original Bottle Door Medallions  (Read 3126 times)
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« on: July 09, 2009, 09:55:41 am »

I have a few original Bottle Door medallions from Vendo 81's that I'd like to get restored.. I have had a few decent ones that with a slight buffer have made look great, but have some that are a little rough, and wondering if anyone has perfected a technique to bring these back to life.. would like to keep the originals ,but know that repos are available too..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 02:31:29 pm »

Short of adding like-material and sanding & polishing the only real way to get them clear and shiny is to remove material. Albeit a very small amount.

Here at work as part of my job, I do cross-sectioning of electronic components which involves potting, preparing components, cutting into them and then sanding & polishing to get a sample so clear that it can be viewed using a Scanning Electron Microscope or low/high-powered microscope with no visible scratches.

I'd be willing to take a look at one and see what could be done from a polishing standpoint.

Brian
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 03:12:52 pm »

Many have cracks through them so they will not polish out but if the outside
can be brought smooth again, the inside can be sandplasted with a fine medium,
then painted

Glen
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 04:09:06 pm »

I have managed to bring a few back to life with some light polish and novus cleaner, but one has some marks on the face from someone else trying to polish it and it got too hot.. scarred it just a bit.. others have paint over them, and not sure what to use to remove paint without harming plastic?

Brian, PM your address I'll send you one to see if you think you can do something with it?..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 10:29:21 am »

Sounds good, PM sent.

Brian
ussexplorer
10 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 09:42:34 pm »

I lucked out. The pepsi machine I got the plastic one for the sign was in mint condition. I tore it apart and cleaned it. Looked even better. Now if the rest of the machine would look as great. I also keep it in the garage out of the sun for no fading. As for the other machine I had and tore parts off of. no sign. So go figure. Only need one sign.

TTFN,

Josh
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: