SMC Discussion Areas
July 02, 2024, 12:48:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Current Market Conditions  (Read 2238 times)
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« on: June 29, 2009, 07:34:07 pm »

One of the reasons I decided to start looking for some additions to my small but hopefully growing coin op collection is that the market is obviously down right now so it should be a good time to look.  My sister lives in the Atlanta area, so I check out their Craigslist while I am looking at our local list as well.
Last week there was a Vendolator 44 listed for $800.  Now their is a Vendo 80 for $850. 

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/clt/1243843861.html

The current one looks to be in pretty good shape and I would have expected the price on these to be higher based on the last time I thought about getting into this - which was several years ago.  So two questions for the experts. How would you rate these in terms of what the current market is, and what do you really look for in terms of evaluating a machine.  These both look enticing to me, but maybe I'm just too anxious to find one in my neck of the woods.  By the way, we had a group of friends over this weekend for an early 4th of July get together.  One guy told me he had a V-81 in his basement that his wife bought, of all places, at a garage sale a couple years ago.  All original, nice paint $500.  Not interested in selling it.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 08:04:59 pm »

First of all, decide, what you want, and what you like. 
The V80 in the ad will only vend the 8 oz (small coke bottles),  as will the 44.  This may or not be an issue, but if you want  to have multiple flavors available, a Vendo 56 or 81 , Cavalier 72 or 96, or  a slider like an Ideal 55  is the way to go

The market has dropped, I'm seeing  prices 20-40% lower for unrestored machines than I did a few years ago, and even restored machines can be found cheaper than a few years ago, usually due to  the seller needing cash fast. 

In terms of evaluating, how much work needs to be done?  Is it cooling, missing trim, coin mech, racks, etc? Do you want a project machine, or a plug and go restored machine? Can you repair, or have friends who can do body work and painting?

Take step back, decide what' you would like, what would fit, and what would look good next to or near the Rockola . Once you know what you are interested in,  the search won't seem as overwhelming.

**Disclaimer: Just my thoughts

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 08:49:36 pm »

I agree with Kilroy.
       The VMC 44 is skinny so seems compact but that's about all it has going for it.
Priced at $800.00 in Atlanta I'm thinking it's missing the bottle stack or people would
buy it just for parts for a Vendo 44.

That Vendo 80 is a very nice looking machine, you don't find many that are
already 2 toned. The bottle stack can be modified so it vends cans. Asking price is
$800 so selling price is probably $600. I think it is a good starter machine for you,
since you can use it as is until a Vendo 81 or Cavalier 72 follows you home.

Glen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: