SMC Discussion Areas
July 16, 2024, 01:15:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello all!  (Read 6232 times)
rugrunner
10 Cent Member

« on: June 24, 2009, 09:54:01 pm »

Hi. I am obviously new here and as I don"t see an introduction area I am trying it here.

I am as new to restoring pop (or is it soda?) machines as I can be, although I have three machines to start with.

As a kid I lived in a small Arkansas town on the Oklahoma border. The feed store had a small coke machine that dispensed bottles out of a narrow door for 10 cents. My sister and I would go there for soda and sit outside (the old men sitting around inside did NOT want us inside) on the boardwalk (did I mention I am old! LOL) and drink our cokes (returning the bottle to the rack next to the machine when done, of course). That memory is one of the best I have.

Needless to say the machine played a big part in it (I am sure this is a group that understands). As a beer lover I have always wanted a pop machine to dispense beer in my garage. The ideal was always that little square cornered coke machine from the feed store.

Along the way I got a huge (250 or so capacity) machine from the eighties that was made for bottles but could be made to vend bottles. Next was a Vendolator  154 that I found on ebay for 75$ a few years ago. I like it but it was not right.

About a week ago I found a Cavalier cs-96e (based on photos online) in maybe 80% shape for 50$ on ebay within 30 miles of me (central Minnesota). I was the only bidder!

While I have always been a fan of pop machines  until I found this machine I really thought restoring a machine was beyond me. I do flooring and have done carpentry work but never paint, body, or electrical work. But now I really want to fix this one up properly.

So that is my introduction. My question is where do next?  I want to do this right and don"t want to try thing out of order.

Right now the machine will not dispense anything but the coin mech works (tried it in other machine) and it cools great. none of the lights work, and the inner glass on the bottle door looks like it took a bb and is broken (this caused much condensation which has rusted the bottom of the door). The shelf where the cooling apparatus sits is also rusty but the rest of the machine is  pretty clean.  There a some scrapes  on the sides (looks like from sliding into a truck a few times) but no dents.

Anyway, any advice you guys would have I would love to hear. Remember I am completely new to this so the simple stuff you take for granted would probably be a real pearl of wisdom to me.

Thanks, Bill
Pat Pixley
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 10:21:36 pm »

First thing Welcome to the site  you have found the right place to be
this group is a great bunch of Guy's & a few Gal's  smile .

First thing get us some pictures this group  love's pictures  out side & inside.

Then we can start to walk you through it on breaking it down .
One thing you will need is a box of zip lock bags and a sharpie
to mark those bags , And a camara to take pictures of the part before
you take it off. smile

mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 10:22:55 pm »

Bill,

Welcome to the club!  happydrinkers You have arrived at the correct place for help on any vending machine project.  Excellent group of guys here and always willing to help.

I don't know a lot about the CS-96 other than the fact that I would like to get one someday.  You got a good price on yours.  I am sure if you post some pictures that would be helpful to the others on board who may be able to give you restoration tips.

My tip is before you start tearing it down, it is best to get it in running order so you can see what everything looks like and take pictures for reference before it is in many pieces on the garage floor.  I am sure the others who have restored that machine can give you some excellent advice.

drinking Tim drinking
David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 10:31:26 pm »

Bill, Welcome to the site, my first machine was a Cavalier 96C and it's a great machine.  The vend mechanism is very simple, if the coin mech is fine you must have a loose wire or a problem with the vend solenoid.  I'd check the connections maybe someone disconnected the solenoid for free vend in the past.
rugrunner
10 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 07:27:54 am »

Thanks for the greetings and comments. I'll work on pics ASAP although since it took me several days to figure out how to log in correctly the pics might be a month or so out... biggrin
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 08:57:51 am »

Bill,

My first machine was a Cavalier C-96. I gave it to my mother when I bought two Cavalier 64s. My father now has that old machine in his den. Still works perfectly.

Welcome to the site. This is by far the best venue for learning about these old soda machines.   

I think your going to be surprised by how easy it is to restore an old soda machine.

I took my first machine apart without the use of a camera, but I don't recommend it. First thing is to get that thing running as it should. Then take er apart and get it blasted. Put er in an etch primer to protect the metal, then sort out what you need and what you can refurbish yourself, never discard anything before the build is over. Use zip locks to keep everything organized into sections of the build. Keeping all screws, nuts and bolts until the machine is complete. You never know what may happen and you may need some of those old parts for reference or actual use..

Hot rod magazine and a few others magazines have articles on how to paint and I would recommend a trip to the book store for information on painting. Although there is an enormous amount on info you can get from SMC members.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing some before pictures of your machine as well as work in progress photos.
Funtronics
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 11:08:25 am »

Welcome Bill:
Glad to see that you are excited about soda machines. After you do your 1st one you will be hooked. The first one always takes a little while to do, but they get much easier. If you need any parts or decals or tips give me a call at Fun-Tronics 217-857-1759. You mentioned that your floor was rusted really bad. We do make a new floor that just drops in. Need anything just give us a call. Have Fun !!!  drinking

Rod
Fun-Tronics
rugrunner
10 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 04:36:59 pm »

Thanks RCkid for the welcome and the advice. I am thinking of looking into getting a sand blasting gismo to use with my air compressor (I think I have seen them a the big box stores cheap) as it might be useful again in the future. I was also thinking of having it painted at a bodyshop or having it powder coated (don't know enough about either to know what I am saying though... biggrin).

Funtronics- while waiting over the weekend to get my sign-on figured out i looked at your site and downloaded (and printed) your catalogs and  price list. At the moment it seems very hard to tell if something is the right one or not but I hope it will make more sense as I progress. If not you'll be working hard helping me figure out what to buy...

So far it seems i need to :
1. take pictures
2. disassemble, inventory, and take more pictures
3. body work and take pictures
4. paint and take pictures
5. reassemble and take pictures

Anything I need to watch out for in taking it apart?

Thanks all.
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 05:07:50 pm »

Bill,

Welcome and glad you were able to get with me on the log in issue...

As previously stated, get everything functioning prior to ANY disassembly ! ! !

My six cents,

Jim

rugrunner
10 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 08:49:07 pm »

Well said Jim, I will do just that.

Where do I start figuring out why it won't vend?

The only other thing that doesn"t work is the lights. The bulbs behind the bezel have been replaced with X-mas lights... I don"t know yet how to get to the one behind the coke sign and the one over the vend door seems stuck. Do they unscrew or pull out?

Here are some pics I hope...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: