SMC Discussion Areas
June 04, 2024, 08:54:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving up from Lurker to Newbie  (Read 9481 times)
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 04:05:20 pm »

Welcome to the site. That is a beautiful Jukebox! Joey's offer may be a good choice. Since you are new to Coke Machines you can trust that Joey will not sell you junk and he will stand behind the sale. Joey is a good guy and a Cav 96 is a good machine. A little tall but they are good sturdy machines. I have had three or four and they are good machines. Much better than the Cav 51 your friend has. The Cav 96 has 12 selections and will vend any size bottle that you want. You can vend Beer bottles, water bottles, IBC Root Beer and just about anything in a bottle you can imagine. Well welcome to the site and we all hoe you stick around.
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 12:05:56 am »

Man, you guys make this way too easy.  Thanks to Joey, Brian, and Loman for the info and the offers.  For now, half the fun of getting an old machine is the hunt for it.  If I just went out and bought one the thrill of the chase would be over.  Not to say that the frustration of the chase may not make me change my mind on down the road, but for the time being I am going to look around a bit. 

Brian, I actually lived in KC for about 13 years.  Small world.  Still work for a company out of Lenexa, but I live in Jefferson City now.  Bought my Rockola from a guy who owed an Italian restaraunt down on the Plaza.  Thanks for the info on the Topeka connection.  I will keep that in mind.  I like to work on the old stuff but the kids take up most of my spare time right now so I would like to find something decent and working.  Does not need to be fully restored, but something I can use now and possibly improve on into the future.  Based on the comments and reputations a lot of you obviously have, I would certainly have a high comfort level acquiring a machine through this board! 

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 05:51:44 am »

The thrill of the hunt never ends... Once you get one machine, you will still have to hunt for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.... Soda machines get very lonely if you only have one..

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 04:10:20 pm »

Just keep looking in the Craigslist, and elsewhere, a nice machine will turn up.

Welcome aboard.
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 08:15:56 pm »

Thanks Bubba.  I'll keep looking for the first one to start.  Based on a couple comments from my better half, if the second third and fourth follow too soon, the coke machines may not be lonely, but I might be!

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 09:10:20 pm »

Brian,

Welcome to the group!  happydrinkers Great Juke Box you have there.  I love the looks of that vintage Rockola.

You certainly have to keep the War Department happy; but, remind her that you are not in the bar, betting on the horses or chasing loose women (at least as far as she knows) oops !  You have stumbled onto a great hobby and a great group of guys who are always willing to help and share their knowledge.

Bubba is right--the thrill of the chase is the best part of this hobby!  I started about 16 months ago and have averaged some sort of coin operated or related item per month.  Such as:

Cavalier USS-8-64 Coke with beautiful wood grain!
Vendo 39 early model
Stoner 180 with Gum Wheel no Fresh Candy
American Penny/Fortune Scale
VMC 144SA Coke embossed
Heintz C2P Embossed Canada Dry--sold to another SMC member
Condom Machine--hey I have two teen-aged boys!
Stoner Junior with Gum Wheel/Fresh Candy
National 7 Pull Cigarette Machine
Big Plastic Coke Bottle Store Display Cooler
Antique Automatic Electric Wall Phone
Candyette 5 cent Candy Bar Vendor
National 9 Pull Cigarette Machine
Coke Fishtail Sign
Vintage Coca Cola Store Display Rack--got mine for $25--there is one listed for over $600 on E-bay--I think I hear Supertramp "Dreamer" in the background!
Stoner 180 no Gum Wheel/Fresh Candy
Ideal 55 Embossed Royal Crown Cola
Kelvinator FE-S-52

Oops!  Looks like I violated the one item per month rule somwhere along the line!  biggrin

Not to mention:

Appliance Dolly
Air Compressor
Soda Blaster

But I can stop tounge anytime--REALLY!!!  Actually, so far I think my investments are outpacing the market--at least that is what I will keep telling myself!

Okay,  "Hi, my name is Tim and I am an SMC-aholic!" wow

drinking Tim drinking

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 09:26:38 pm »

Then if your first machine is nicely "reconditioned", both you and the family can use it, as you seek and purchase your first "restoration project", which may take a while to complete.
        Later, you will find that so many friends will want your old/first machine, that you can sell it and start all over again ...........searching for # 3.  happydrinkers

Glen
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 08:40:26 am »

I found a machine I wanted nearly twenty years ago. Eventually found one I liked better. Later it was the machine in the house plus one or two more out in the garage. Selling the machines I didn't have a use for, but only buying machines that I wouldn't mind keeping for years on end. By doing this I now have my dream machine along with a few others that I actually use and abuse.

I average one machine purchase every three to five months and there are machines out there that if and when I find one close enough, I will stop everything in order to go get it. A vendo 44 for example, I still don't have one.

I am also in the process of stocking up on parts. I figure I may need to have something to do when I retire.

Anyway, enough with the babbling, I recommend you get yourself a nice round top machine that compliments the beauty of your Juke Box. Then later your can look for something to use in the garage or out on the patio.

I use Vendo-39 in the garage and a Junior on the Patio. Both are plentiful as well as inexpensive. My prize machine (a Royal Crown Vendo-110) is in the house on display. I use it only occasionally in order to ensure it continues to work and I never use it for parties for fear of it getting all scuffed up.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: