SMC Discussion Areas
April 30, 2024, 02:45:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1954 AMI Jukebox  (Read 22728 times)
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« on: May 20, 2009, 06:22:47 am »

It must be the season for 50's vintage AMI's to rear their heads! I have an opportunity to score a 1954 AMI Jukebox. That's how the seller had it listed with no pictures of course. I'm pretty confident that it's and "F" seing as how he was confident of the year and that it played 120 selections. The only wierd thing is that he also mentioned that it was a "Series 800". Not to sure about that!

He says it works like a champ and doesn't have any major problems and he's willing to make a deal off of the original asking price, he just wants it gone ASAP! He lives about an hour away so I guess it wouldn't hurt to go take a look at it.

I know how most feel about 50's AMI boxes. They definitely aren't my favorite when it comes to looks but for a good working vintage juke I might not nbe able to help myself!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 06:24:26 am by BrianB » Logged

Brian
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 06:39:34 am »

I really think AMI's are heading the way  of squaretops, the Wurly's and seeburgs are getting too pricey, so people will start looking for a  cheaper ( price wise) alternative. 
From what i've reqad, AMI's can really kick out the volume, and are easy to work  on., they have a cool factor about them ,okay, not as flashy, but still you can look at one and know it wouldn't be out of place  next to a round top in the game room, and hey, they have the visible mech.   Listening to  the tune is  good, watching the record  load and play is even better.

Definately worth a look if the price is good

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Ken Layton
5 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 10:37:32 pm »

That vintage of Rowe-Ami jukebox has an easy-to-rebuild amplifier.

Carbon Arc --- the light that's bright is the light that's right ---for film projection that is!
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 11:35:40 am »

Ken,

Thanks for the info, that good news to hear. I just talked with the owner and he's super-motivated to deal which hopefully will translate into a good deal for me!  biggrin

He moved from a house to an apartment and is wants to move it out of the way to get some furniture in there. I personally would sacrifice a sofa for a juke!! biggrin

I'll let everybody know what happens.

Brian
TomFromJersey
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 09:46:17 pm »

Brian
  The series 800 is the mechanism inside the Juke. Shouldn't be more than a couple hundred bucks for a model F.

Grapette Quickold Standard
AMI I200 AMI H200
Wurlitzer 61, 600, 700, 750, 800, 1080, 2100
Packard Musical Bar
Chicago Coin BandBox
15 remote speakers and counting
A bunch of Grapette stuff
Some really cool vending machines
mrsoda
25 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 11:01:43 am »

tom knows  his jukes and there value. He has  lots of  dealings with this stuff, good  guy to ask anything jukebox
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 11:53:44 am »

Thanks Tom!

I feel like I got a decent deal then. For a working AMI F-120 minus the coin mech I paid $260 and only had to drive 45 mins each way so gas wasn't really an issue.

when the guy told me it played 120 selections and was a 1954 vintage AMI I figured that it must be an "F". I don't have any experience with AMI's in particular, I'm more of a Seeburg guy. He didn't have any pictures on his Craigslist listing so I was going off of his written info.

I talked to him on the phone to let him know that I wanted to take a look at it and I asked him to repeat the vitals for the juke and he mentioned it was a Model 800 which threw me a bit.

When I got there I saw the nomeclature plate inside on the mech. Felt better about that.

I'll post some pic's later!

Brian
mrsoda
25 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 03:47:39 pm »

nice buy brian, love to see someone get a good deal jeff
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 06:15:10 am »

Welp, got the AMI "F" homes with no problems. Gave it a quick once over to familiarize myself with it and to see if there was anything noticable missing. Other than the coin mech and a few small fasteners the only other thing that it's missing is the turntable cover.

The previous owner decided that the original orange paint job wasn't up to snuff so they decided to paint the entire thing black and decorate it with magazine and newspaper clipping. Very 60's-ish looking! The main door light was out and only need a new starter to get it going.

At first the mech wouldn't select. After replacing a blown fuse it began to select and play a record but wouldn't cancel, reject or replace the rejected/canceled record. Turns out a misadjusted switch blade was the culprit and it now runs through a complete cycle with no problems. I also removed and cleaned the volume control pot which mad a world of difference.

I'll more than likely refinish the exterior of the box and bring it back to it's original color and re-cap the amp and then call it day.

Anybody happen to have a "F" manual handy? biggrin I know that Victory and Ebay sells them but I'm all about being a "cheap-o"

Brian
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 08:50:20 am »

Where are the pictures?Huh?Huh??
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 09:14:18 pm »

Here's a few pictures, dig the paint job and the decorations!

Brian
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 09:15:30 pm »

A few more

Brian
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 04:20:34 am »

Anybody happen to have a "F" manual handy?
I'll be able to let you know later today, but I don't recall a Model "F"; I'll check and post back...

My six cents,

Jim

loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 04:57:03 am »

It kindof looks like the front end of a mack truck doesn't it  biggrin Actually I think they are good looking. A little odd but thats what gives it character
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 10:07:27 am »

That's why I like them!!  biggrin I've already found that they are super easy to work on. Everything is very accessible. I'll be taking the amp soon to rebuild it, new caps all around, check the tolerances on the resistors and, test all of the tubes to see where they sit.

Other than that, I'm just going to clean it up, repaint the exterior and get everything back where it should be. I love how the mechansim works on these beasties, a lot more action than say a 50's vintage Seeburg juke.

Brian
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 10:36:46 am »

And from what I heard, AMI's can really kick out  the jams.
Awesome find, can't wait ti see pics when she's done

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 01:45:00 pm »

Hey Brian,

I do have a Model "F" Service Manual but it's not a self-contained book. By this I mean, the manual is part/section of a big binder filled with other models and equipment. I do have the models "C", "E", and "G" as individual manuals with a nice company binder...

I know that Victory and Ebay sells them but I'm all about being a "cheap-o"
I could provide a decent copy for FREE ! ! !

My six cents,

Jim

loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 04:22:11 pm »

I have a chance to buy a G120 for only $200 and its local. Should I go for it. I would be buying to fix and clean up and sell.
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 06:36:51 am »

They are fun boxes to work on. $200 is a good price for a box in decent condition. Does it work?

Brian
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 09:44:12 am »

It is totally disassembled. They say its nice. I am going to go look at it probably tomorrow.
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 02:06:24 pm »

Let us know if you decide to pick it up, or not!  biggrin

Brian
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 10:01:31 pm »

The guy is coming to get my Rockola 1454 tomorrow so I have some extra $$$. I think I will buy it if it is still available tomorrow. I may part it out or I may put it together and see what is missing and if nothing is I am sure I can get more out of it than I paid. I will keep you updated.
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2009, 09:49:00 pm »

Well Well Josh

You Sold The 1454 Hum !!Did'nt Keep it Long

The guy is coming to get my Rockola 1454 tomorrow so I have some extra $$$.

Leonard

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2009, 10:13:40 pm »

Yep he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I guess he really wanted it and after I picked up the 1432 and it was in such good condition I called him last night and he came to get it today from Pittsburgh. I did nothing to it and I made about $500 profit from it. That can't be beet and I like the 1432 better. It looks more like a piece of furniture since it is made with nice hard wood and has so much light up plastic. I think it is a better juke and a better investment to restore.
oldskoolcoinop
10 Cent Member

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2009, 10:36:33 pm »

Gotta love it when that happens! happydrinkers
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: