SMC Discussion Areas
April 27, 2024, 02:38:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wooden phone booth  (Read 4440 times)
Sodak Bob
25 Cent Member

« on: May 09, 2009, 07:20:23 am »

Anyone know what a complete wooden phone booth is worth?  It looks early 60's to me - wooden seat and corner table - the phone mounted in the corner.....thanks

Bob
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 08:27:02 am »

Prolly more 1950's or earlier, by the 1960's  the phone companies started using the  aluminum and  glass ones.
  the ealrier ( 1920's = 1930's) go for more, but expect #500 - 700.

Make sure the door hardware (handle, rail guide hinge )  is there, the parts aren't repopped, and can be difficult to find, same goes for the light trim, some had brass kick plates along the side, fan unit in the top corner, and  vents ily, so  you'll see a lot of machines missing a cover, or a light installed above the door. The vents were pot metal and  shattered easily so you'll see booths missing the louvers or with a sign  installed in the hole
Also look for water damage along the base, run if there is.

Okay, I'll stop now   

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
audiobeer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 04:39:43 pm »

With this economy the prices have fallen. If it has a large circular plastic lens light in the ceiling that incorporates a fan then it probably is a 60s. . If the fan is in the corner and the light is small in the ceiling then 50s is my guess. Without a phone they go for about $500. I have a few and would sell you one for that.

Missouri
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 09:15:35 am »

On some of the ones that I have seen, if you go into the booth, close the door and look on the top left side of the door there is a date of manufacture in the wood.

I would also say from some of the ones that I have seen, if the light and phone book shelf on the outside are there that is an added bonus!

drinking Tim drinking
cokemachinesandmore
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 07:13:44 pm »

i have owned a few, currently have one from 1965 the other is from 1939. the older ones from 20's thru 40's have the embossed tin interiors,and have the brass sign above the door, brass handle, hinge, door guide and interior bottom trim. the later ones have smooth sides and no brass. hope this helps
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: