SMC Discussion Areas
September 19, 2024, 10:46:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Here is what I've been working on lately....  (Read 8085 times)
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 10:24:52 pm »

you did a fantastic job on both machines, but i noticed you used a different face on the gas pump?
that is the only face plate Gas pump heaven carried for the Bowser pumps. yes, the pump actually has site glass behind it , and where hoping that soon they or someone will make a face plate for this series pump... most of the bowser pumps had the site glass in a different location and not in the face. the originals where too far gone, and I didn't want to attempt to cut out perfect little circles in these new faces.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Cokemachinesandmore
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 11:11:13 pm »

i thought those bowser pumps were hard to find parts for. would like to see the some pics of the inside of pump. like i said awesome job on both
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 03:24:34 pm »

Photos of the restoration process can be seen on my website at www.popmachineshop.com
click on restoration process and click on whitworth.

GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 10:55:49 pm »

Hey John, is this Bowser pump in the same vintage/rarity as the one you restored here?  Owner is asking $600 for this one.  I love the chrome on it, and it has the add glass window as well!

Greg

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
Cokemachinesandmore
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 11:18:00 pm »

pump looks in great shape 600.00 is a fair price for it
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 08:42:10 am »

It's close to the one I had restored, same era/family, not sure of the number, this one has 3 stainless trim pieces stacked together, mine had 2, and mine had seperate ad glass up on the top with a frame around it and the window glass. $600 might be a little steep? I paid less for mine. Only thing I didn't like about this pump was how the panels fit, they go on very hard, and are not easy to take on an off as they are not hinged, rather hooked on the top and bottom and fastened with a tension bar along the top.
Also the Face plates are not reproduced yet with the site glass cut out, so you'd have to manually cut those out.

mrsoda
25 Cent Member

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 09:07:49 am »

very nice job john, keep up the nice work
oldskoolcoinop
10 Cent Member

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 09:35:32 pm »

Stupid question, but what was the purpose of the site glass? Just to ensure fuel was flowing? I want an old pump bad.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 07:33:42 am »

I've been told it was more flash for the  customer,  get the spinner going, and it gave the driver a sense of security, that gas was really pumping.
i'can't confirm this story though.
And yeah, a pump lit up  loks sweet in the game room or garage, or next to a pop machine  Cool

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 08:25:37 am »

Yes, the site glass was there to show the Gas actually going through the pump.. keep in mind that the earlier gas pumps where called Visibles, they had a large Glass cylinder on top that you' manually pump the gas into , You could see it, then realease the handle to see the gas come out and into your car. so when these computer pumps came out in the late 40's-50's, i"m sure there was some skepticism about hey... Where's the gas, so the earlier pumps had this Site glass on them with little spinners inside to assure the customer that , yes your getting your gas..  That is just my theory...
Once the glass is cleaned up, I usully paint or polish the spinners so they are nice and visible.. i've heard of some guys , rigging up little fans inside them or motors to make them spin, there are also some adaptations you can do to a pump to actually have the computer "compute" move and ding on the gallon... that is what I'm working on next,,, key is to have a good complete and clean computer that spins freely.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: