SMC Discussion Areas
July 04, 2024, 12:05:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie looking to get his first Dr Pepper machine  (Read 3523 times)
Scopicdrive

« on: April 22, 2009, 12:51:45 am »

I am looking to purchase my first soda machine.  I have been wanting one for years.    Lately I have been collecting prewar bicycles, but before that it was 7up, Dr Pepper and Squirt signs.
I think I've narrowed it down to a Dr Pepper Selectavend S48 with the glass door.  I hoping to find one in good original condition.
Is this lofty goal for my first machine?  What would be a good price?

I looked at a 7up embossed VMC 139 this weekend.  It was a nice machine but it was HUGE!  I found it on craigslist.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/clt/1125952547.html

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 01:31:35 am »

Hey Mike!

Welcome to the site!  You will find a great group of guys here that can help you with nearly anything!  Your goal isn't too lofty.  I have a Selectivend S-48 Dr. Pepper non-glass door version, and have seen several of those around my area available anywhere from $500 to $1500 depending on condition.  I paid $1000 for mine fully restored.  The glass door machines are a bit harder to find.  All depends on where you live...I'm guessing you are in LA, so there won't be nearly as many there as here in Texas!  There are several folks on here that would gladly keep their eyes out for one of those for you if that's what you want (if someone doesn't already have one available!) 

As for that machine you looked at...yes, they are huge and not as popular a machine.  Brian (Seven181) would probably be interested in that machine, as he is a big 7up nut, but he's out quite sick at the moment and not really thinking about machines.  I'll see if I can get up with him if you aren't interested in that one to see if he is.  He may know of a glass door S-48 Dr. Pepper as well.

Good luck on your quest...it will likely be the first of many machines you get for the collection.  Be warned!

Greg

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
Scopicdrive

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 05:39:54 pm »

Hi Greg,

Thanks for all the great information.  I'm sure I'll get hooked and have more than one machine, but right now i only have space for one so I figured I'd pick the one I wanted the most.  I will stock it with Dublin Dr Pepper.  Mmmmm
I am her i n Los Angeles and I looked at the 7up machine it gets nice and cold and everything works.  The guy is nice and he is looking to sell it.  Apparently I was the only one to answer the ad.

I look forward to learning a great deal from everyone here.

Mike
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 05:41:33 pm »

Dublin Dr. Pepper...good stuff!

Mike, check your personal messages.

Greg

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 08:26:04 pm »

Mike,

Welcome to the site.  happydrinkers That 7 up machine would be a good garage machine if it is working order and you can get it for a good price but don't expect to flip it and make a big buck on it.  Restored it would be very nice looking but you would have a hard time getting the money invested into it out of it.  While it is a good looking machine, it is also very heavy which makes it hard to move and too heavy to move around in the house.

You should wait for something smaller to come along.  Just keep an eye on the ads and something will come along (and then another, biggrin and then another   .   .   . )and the guys on here will help you figure out a good offering price if you are not sure.

drinking Tim drinking
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 10:17:21 pm »

Also moving a machine across country is easier than you thing  North American Van Lines will move a machine with personalized door to door care for around $400.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: