SMC Discussion Areas
April 27, 2024, 03:44:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The new chase!!!  (Read 21662 times)
buschgator
« on: February 18, 2009, 09:12:22 pm »

Gentlemen (and ladies),

What are your thoughts on this machine? What is it? Whats it worth?

Thanks!

-Ryan
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 09:23:24 pm »

Its a Vendo 90. They are good solid working machines. They vend bottles only. If the price is right I would get it. I would say its worth a couple hundred in this economy.
bmw90w
10 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 10:02:03 pm »

Yeah a couple hundred if it runs. That could be a cool machine kinda like that cavalier a little. Man you really got the bug huh?

Cavalier CS-96
Vendo 81-A
Yarochrehc
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 10:03:49 pm »

Great machine to have. I have two of this Vendo 90, and they work well. Worth $200.00 to $300.00 tops.

Bob

Restored
Vendo H63B  Coke in use in basement
Original
Vendo V/VF63/7  Pepsi in use

Restoring: Glascock Standard
(2) Vendo 63
(2)Vendo 90
Vendo 126  waiting for paint
VMC 56
Westinghouse WE-6
Pat Pixley
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 10:33:11 pm »

I just bought a V 90  back in January I had JohnieG go along for the ride
 it was missing the shelfs Whick I bought from www.vintagesodaparts.com
know it need to be restored and  put to use in my office  biggrin.

I've had 4 of these and they are a good working machine  for the garage or
office  or even on the back deck smile.

So go get this it looks good and remember to do what Signguy said
Make sure they have it pluged in and running so you can see if it gets cold
and make sure it is running well.

Pat

buschgator
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 01:07:53 am »

Well I just emailed my offer on this machine.  Since it's late at night I probably won't hear back until tomorrow.  We'll see how it goes.  If this does actually go through, whats the best way to transport?  I'm going to pick it up myself on a little trailer I have.  Is it ok to lay the machine down?  Suggestions?

-Ryan
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 01:17:05 am »

It is fine to lay it down for transport - just don't plug it in for 24 hours - let it sit upright so the compressor can get settled.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 03:47:27 am »

Also take the shelves out. Add padding to support the compresor while it is on it's back.
Creighton
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 06:36:04 am »

Also, before you lay it down, make sure the compressor is firmly affixed to the bottom of the machine.  Sometimes, those bolts are broken or missing.  And, as Creighton stated, have some padding.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 09:24:55 am »

Sending good luck vibes to you that you can score this one!   It's a powerful bug you've been bitten by!!   biggrin  That would be a nice first machine.

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
bmw90w
10 Cent Member

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 08:26:57 pm »

good luck on the chase! Let us know

Cavalier CS-96
Vendo 81-A
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 11:07:55 pm »

I bet he won't sleep well tonight... Kinda waiting for that First born...

Oh,.... the memories... of your very first time.... oh sweet memories... tounge oh biggrin

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 11:24:44 pm »

Note that Greg said “First Machine” There will be others!
Best of Luck and keep us posted!

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
buschgator
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 09:50:33 am »

Nothing quite yet.  I called the guy to check and see if he had a chance to read the email I sent him with my offer.  He said he has to think about it and talk it over with his wife because its lower than he was hoping to get from the machine.  Personally I think he'll cave and sell it to me.  The only thing against me right now is time.  What I mean by that is someone could call and offer him more than me as more time passes and more people see the machine.  We shall see.

hopefull hopefull hopefull
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 12:10:14 pm »

In the mean time, keep looking.  There are plenty of machines at reasonable prices out there, the search can be thrilling and frustrating, usually  at the same time. but don't give up  the hunt

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
bmw90w
10 Cent Member

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 12:44:12 pm »

Yeah man they come and go. I didn't find any for quite a while once. Talk about addicted, I searched craigslist all over the U.S. I ended up buying a machine in Wisconsin, and I live in GA!!!! tounge It's all John's fault. Keep looking they will show up.

Cavalier CS-96
Vendo 81-A
buschgator
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 12:56:34 pm »

I live down in florida.  I noticed on the "map of members" that there are no other members of this site in florida on that map.  As a matter of fact, I think you are the closest person being there in atlanta.  Hopefully I find a machine nearby.  The only problem with that is the rust from all the salt air down here in florida.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 03:06:38 pm »

Jim, Moderator, Host and all  Supreme Leader   of this site  lives in Florida.

GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 03:09:44 pm »

Yes, the Grand Poobah of the site is there.  Where are you located in Florida?  I was near Pensacola previously, and there is a shop in Ft. Walton Beach that has several machines at reasonable prices.

Greg

bmw90w
10 Cent Member

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 03:27:09 pm »

If you ever find one in Atlanta and need me to nab it for you, Id be glad to do that for you. That goes for anyone on here as well.

Cavalier CS-96
Vendo 81-A
buschgator
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 11:05:04 pm »

I am the proud owner of this V-90 now!  Now I need some help....

Im going to pick it up tomorrow (4hr drive to tampa).  What do I need to do?  You guys mentioned to have them plug it in in advance and have it running for at least 8 hrs before I arrive.  What happens when I am picking it up?  Just unplug it and lay it on the trailer even though its cold? 

Anyone who can give advice in this whole transaction process would help greatly.  I know you guys said to try to support the compressor at the bottom of the machine when I lay it on the trailer. 

Also, a couple of silly questions...does this thing run on a standard plug or is some higher voltage of some sort?  With that said, to have this plugged in and running constantly, is my electricity bill going to go up much?

Give me the full run down fellas! All advice welcome!!!

-Ryan
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 11:15:02 pm »

I can answer some of that, Ryan.  Congrats on the new purchase!!  It will be the first of more than one, I'm sure!  The 8 hours of running is to make sure it's working right when you get there to inspect it.  It's no problem unplugging it and taking it with you, cold or otherwise.  It operates from a normal plug, 110 Volts, and shouldn't cost you much more to run (I've heard $10-20 Per month at most).  Supporting the compressor during transport just protects it from damage. 

You will get plenty of good advice from this board, just ask away!  And welcome to the club!   happydrinkers

Greg

buschgator
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 11:18:08 pm »

I'm so out of my league here but I'm having a blast.  I have no clue how to do any work on these machines.  I have no idea how to take anything apart in them.  Oh well, I have to figure it out at some point.  I figure I may as well just dive right in.  So I'll go pick it up tomorrow afternoon and assuming it is what the seller claims it is, I'll be very happy.  Someone mentioned to take the racks out of the machine for transport.  Why should I do that?  and how do I do that?

Thanks!
bmw90w
10 Cent Member

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 11:42:16 pm »

They were talking about the shelves. They just lift out. Other than that if the compressor is supported, you are fine. Bring a few blankets with you. I like to put a small piece of plywood down and then a blanket. That way when the machine is on its back, it just slides in. Congratulations! drinking

Cavalier CS-96
Vendo 81-A
buschgator
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 11:47:57 pm »

All of these comments are very helpful.  Im going to take a dolly with me tomorrow to wheel the machine to the trailer.  I'll lay her down gently, strap it to the trailer, and bring her on home.  Keep the comments and advice coming.  I don't wanna overlook something that I should be sure to do.  Thanks!  (as you can probably tell, I'm like a giddy little school boy right now with this whole thing)

-Ryan
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2009, 06:16:53 am »

Ryan,

Take lots of pictures when you are tearing down the machine.  That way, you can always go back and look at things when you are trying to reassemble.  Also, ziploc baggies are great to store parts.  Label each bag with what's in it and where it goes.  I also make some sketches as I do a tear down, so I can make notes.  Have fun!

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2009, 12:36:53 pm »

Don't worry about taking them apart and putting them back together again....If I can
do it anyone can...and I really do mean that....

Congrats and may this be the first of many..

Dave
buschgator
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2009, 10:14:30 am »

I'm not sure how much disassembling will take place.  It is in pretty good shape, and I have no clue what I would do to it if I was going to do any "refurbishment." 

A few questions..

1) where can I buy glass coke bottles?
2) the price reads 25cents, can I change that label somehow and also change the coin mech to charge less for a coke?
3) the logo in front of the light has faded in the center, anyone have a replacement for that? i think its glass.

I'll attach some pictures.

Thanks!
-Ryan
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2009, 10:38:55 am »

A few questions..

1) where can I buy glass coke bottles? -
 Sam's Club carries them as well as flvors of Crush, and  IBC flavors.  cheaper than ther 3.99 a six pack the supermarkets  here  charge. 

2) the price reads 25cents, can I change that label somehow and also change the coin mech to charge less for a coke?
Check Funtronics, or Soda Jerks Works, both have ads here.  Couple bucks for a new foil decal.   What type coin mech? 

3) the logo in front of the light has faded in the center, anyone have a replacement for that? i think its glass.

i believe Funtronics  has a repro.  And there a recent post where a new marque was done, and it  looked killer. If you are creative and patient, that's an option. 

And congrats, for the first score you did well!  drinking

oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2009, 11:04:31 am »

It looks very clean. I think you're on the right track.
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2009, 11:56:46 am »

Ryan,

Nice machine and good first score!  The cheapest place to get the 8 0z. Cokes is at Sam's Club although I was able to find an independent Coke bottler in MI that is willing to sell to me at his wholesale price.  The only problem is that they are located in the Western Upper Peninsula.  The company owned distributors in MI will not sell wholesale.

Not sure where you are located but if you contact the Coca Cola Bottlers Association can tell you if there are independent Coke bottlers in your area:

http://www.ccbanet.com/

Funtronics has everything else that you need!

drinking Tim drinking
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2009, 12:26:04 pm »

I'm not sure what coin mech you have in there, but my V90 had a Coinco S75-9800A.  You can adjust the price by taking off the slug rejector, and pressing the DIP switches behind it.

There's instructions on how to change the price in this thread:
http://soda-machines.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,29/topic,1138.0/

-Tom

GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2009, 06:25:41 pm »

Congrats, Ryan!  That's a nice, clean machine!  Doesn't look like you need to do too much to it!

Check out the recent posts for tips on most anything you need to do.  You can always do a search for a certain topic.  You will also see posts about bottling your own soda, it doesn't take much effort and is much cheaper!  Besides, you can pick your flavors!  Most Wal-Mart stores have at least a few glass bottled sodas available, such as Crush, Frostie, etc.  Check that out as well.

Greg

Greg

Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2009, 07:06:28 pm »

Very nice machine!
If you have a Costco near, they may have 12 oz. cane sugar coke in non returnable glass.
Creighton
Pat Pixley
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2009, 10:24:35 pm »

Congrats Ryan ,  Great machine I have 1 1/2 know (Thanks JohhnieG)  plan on making one real  nice restored one biggrin later this year .
And Like everyone else has told you Funtronics for the  marquee and some of your other parts or there is Sodajerk works  Steve is a great guy to get to know.

Oh yeah And John over at vintegesodaparts  he has some Vendo parts .

Pat
buschgator
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2009, 10:28:55 pm »

Well I'm very excited about this.  Like I mentioned before, I dont know what I'll do (if anything at all) as far as restoration goes.  It seems pretty good the way it is.  I changed the selling price today to 5cents.  Seems more fun than 25.  Now I've just gotta give it a good cleaning, buy some bottled coke, and plug her in.

Thanks for all the kind words about my first machine, much appreciated.
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2009, 11:07:37 pm »

Nice machine... but it looks lonely down... You need to get another one to keep it company....
then a gas pump, a couple candy machines, a payphone, barber pole,  don't forget a juke,
then...
Congrats! Very clean looking.... good score!

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
buschgator
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2009, 03:38:21 pm »

I agree.  My machine is very lonely in the garage and will most likely get a friend at some point.  In the mean time I might just pick up some small coke collectible items to dress up the place around it. 

I have been out of town for almost a week and this is the first time I've been able to do anything with the machine since I got it home.  I am going to just give it a once over cleaning and was wondering if there is anything to be sure to take care of before I plug it in for its first run.  Anything particular I should be sure to do?  Anything to avoid?  Thanks fellas!

-Ryan
cokecolaman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2009, 05:53:45 pm »

You should skip the small collectable coke things...in a year you will have so many machines, you won't have room for anything else. I know that sounds crazy, but I would guess you will be buying machines left and right...also, the machines multiply like they are having babies.
Nice job on your first machine! drinking

VMC Coke 88 (nice original)
VMC Pepsi 81
VMC Orange Crush 81
VMC Squirt 81
VMC Dr. Pepper 81
VMC RC 81
VMC 7up 81 st
Vendo 44 original
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Cavalier 33
buschgator
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2009, 05:59:46 pm »

Yeah youre probably right.  I have to make sure my wife warms up to the idea of machine number 2 at some point.

How about the cleaning and prepping of this machine....any suggestions?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: