SMC Discussion Areas
June 23, 2024, 02:39:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Metal Cleaner/Degreaser/Remover??  (Read 6190 times)
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« on: February 13, 2009, 05:07:20 pm »

I'm looking to experiment with some new cleaners? Is there something powerfull enough out there that you can spray on metal and powerwash off? looking to restore the vending mech of a stoner, and it's just greasy, dirty, gunkey and I don't want to take it all apart as I fear it won't go back together... so looking to clean it up as is,, but need something that I can spray or brush on and rinse off with a power washer or something? Any tips, ideas.. what have you run across or use?

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
choice120
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 05:24:08 pm »

Use Krud Kutter from the depot. works great  smile
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 05:53:14 pm »

I've used any ol' engine degreaser on some things and a hose sprayer to rinse.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 08:16:44 pm »

I have always used Simple Green. Its a multi purpose cleaner and it works great on anything. It just started going on sale here in Singapore and I bought a bottle for our maid and she loves it. It cuts grease and grime but its safe to be used on painted surfaces. I remember I got a free pepsi V63 a while ago and it looked bad. It was very dirty and grimy and looked like it would have to be repainted. Kate and I used two bottles on the machine and it looked like new when it was done. We used so much simple green Kate named it the Green Monster Smiley
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 10:30:53 pm »

I use Spray Nine... that stuff seems to cut through anything... It smells horrible, but works great.. I've done a few nasty machines with it and a pressure washer..

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 10:27:03 pm »

thanks,
Great input.. I'll try a few of these,, I use Simple green, but I got some really nasty old hardend stuff and it just doesn't cut it... I'll look for the other stuff and try it... can't till spring anyway ,as can't spray anytying off with the pressure washer till it warms up around here... just lining up my spring projects.!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 11:30:08 pm »

I use aresol degreaser. It's a little expensive but works great.

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 11:39:58 pm »

For a general degreaser I use some stuff Suzuki makes sold as "Degreaser."  It works great.  I have used "greased lightning" and it worked as good as the Suzuki stuff think it came from Wal Mart. 

If the grease / grime is still resistant to that I use air conditioner coil cleaner "Nu-Brite"  This stuff is super serious.  Really burns if you get it on skin.  If you are not concerned with surface appearance this is the ticket.  It etches aluminium so be carefull, but I have not found grease that is a match for it.

I was cleaning an 81 liner a few weeks back.  Hit it with the degreaser and nothing happened.  Sprayed the AC cleaner and as soon as the cleaner hit something dirty the dirt started to run. 
bmw90w
10 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 11:43:07 pm »

Yeah greased lightning is awesome!

Cavalier CS-96
Vendo 81-A
Basementgeek
10 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 11:11:40 pm »

A Stoner mech should be all metal, no plastic.  One method I have used years ago for metal mechs was to put them in a pot of boiling water. Being that hot any water will dry is 3-4 seconds. I cleaned guns this way years ago in the Army.

BG
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: