SMC Discussion Areas
August 25, 2024, 12:28:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sign Repairs  (Read 2050 times)
johnnyfizz
10 Cent Member

« on: February 05, 2009, 10:36:46 am »

I would like to hear your thoughts guys on repairs and restorations made to old rusty tin signs.Have any of you attempted this? I'm not really looking for resale sake,obviously repair labor would exceed the value, but for ones personal collection you could give these tired weathered signs a shiney new life.Could this be relatively easily done with bondo or any other products? Thoughts? Ideas?
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 11:26:01 am »

There are a few people that restore old signs with awesome results, its defenatly a skill I dont have!

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 11:49:57 am »

I'm rather mixed on this topic, I'd say if it's a fairly common sign, hold out till a nice original comes along.
However I know there are some very RARE, signs out there and have seen some repaired, moslty porcelain signs... there is a big topic of discussion on this in the Gas/Oil Collectors circles and there are some very talented people who do great work.

I'd say if it was somethign extremely rare, sure go ahead, but don't try to pawn it off as original, I'd say any repair to a tin sign, will be pretty easy to tell, as the mothod of restoration will be different than the origianal manufacturing process, so it would be hard to pass off as original, mint.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 09:06:01 pm »

With vinyl cutters today I've seen some Coke Cops and Coke Buttons brought back.
trace the logo and DRINK letters,  shot the thing red, then shoot the letter back on.
I couldn't tell....  I have a nice 5 foot Coke fish tail that has light scratches... If I
wanted it perfect it would n't be a problem but I kinda like the small battle scares
I agree with John though... If it's somethign you can find I'd wait around for a better one
but if it's uncommon give it a try.

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: