SMC Discussion Areas
May 01, 2024, 01:44:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brazing leaks on evaporator or new evaporator for Vendo 56 squaretop  (Read 2837 times)
choice120
« on: January 04, 2009, 08:14:09 am »

Can anyone tell me if you can have leaks brazed on the evap. My leaks are not whthere already is a brazed joint. Does anyone know where I can get a ne evaporator and have it installed since the rest of my system is good. thanks
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 09:25:14 am »

I honestly dont know if it can be done, It will probably be cheaper to buy a used unit and rebuilt it. I have a buyer and sell all evaportaors for $100.00 each. He bought 12 a few months ago and didnt even think twice about it.

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 11:40:55 am »

Yes, you can braze leaks on evaporator coils. I have a refrigeration deck that has a repaired evap coil. This came out of my very first machine, a VF-117. I was goofing around with the vending solenoid and got a screwdrive hung-up on the solenoid contacts and shorted the screwdriver blade against an evap coil which resulted in a nice arc flash, a popping noise followed shortly by a hissing letting me know that my refrigerant was leaking out!!

I had an A/C reapairman friend of mine fix it. He used a propane torch and some solder and had it fixed in a few seconds. His biggest concern was getting the right amount of solder in place. Too much and you run the risk of dropping solder balls into the evap line wich is no good. After watching him I'm very confident that I could repeat his fix.

After you plug the hole you have to pull a vacuum on the deck to make sure that the fix is good and that there aren't any other leaks. We left mine under vacumm overnight to see if there was any movement on the gauge. Once this is accomplished you weigh-in the correct amount of refrigerant (R-12, R-134) and test to see if the deck cools properly.

Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: