SMC Discussion Areas
April 27, 2024, 02:12:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Restoration on a budget?  (Read 16135 times)
pinballdude
25 Cent Member

« on: December 14, 2008, 06:41:43 pm »

Glasco Slider...
Would it be better to obtain a side or front panel
from a parted out machine or take the heavily
pitted/rusted panel to a body shop. The side panel where the bottles are loaded and the front top is pitted and looks like it would take alot of grinding/body work to get it up to snuff.
Another question...do you strip off all old paint to bare metal before repaint? I do not have access to blasting and probably wouldn't be good at grinding/sanding. Or are there
chemical strippers?
I got this free, and really would like to get this one looking better. Have a VMC 33 and a Vendo 44 that was repainted but there was not the amount of pitting that this one has.
Ideas/advice appreciated for this newbie. I'll post a parts wanted after reading replies if needed
Terry
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 07:28:36 pm »

Funny that you should ask. I just read an article in this months Hot Rod magizine on the subject. I recommend you go out and pick up a copy.

Rust with pitting is best fixed by blasting. Not only does it do a better job, but it isn't that expensive either. Especially if you value your time. Around here (North Carolina) I can get an entire glasco blasted for around eigthy to one-hundred dollars. Then you just have to fill in the pits with bondo and or the light weight, easy to sand polyaster filler.
When I do run into a problem that I can not get to the blasting booth I use a product called OSPHO (Phosphric acid) that I get at the hardware store (True Value). Great stuff. Removes rust and can be painted over. I use it this weekend on the chassis of my vette with great results. Soak the parts over night, in some cases the process might have to be repeated a couple of times, then wip down with laquer thinner and prime.
I also have a heavy duty wire wheel (a Mikata) that cleans up parts quickly. $80.00 at Home Depot or Lowes.
I sand blast everything I can remove from the car and I sand blast all of my soda machine parts. They're just easier to work with after they have been blasted.
Good Luck.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 08:06:26 pm »

Glasco Slider...
Would it be better to obtain a side or front panel
from a parted out machine or take the heavily
pitted/rusted panel to a body shop.

Since you have all the important parts, slider rack, coin mech and cap catcher....
you may be way ahead finding a clean working shell for under $100 in your area and call
yours the "parted out" machine. There are MANY incomplete sliders to be had.

Glen
Pat Pixley
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 09:03:36 pm »

As far as the sand blasting it is the way to go. or soda blasting which does not remove the the rust just the paint and any decales .

But like Glen said there are plenty of slider's around that are cheap that. are missing racks
and or coin mechs .That maybe a way to go. smile
pinballdude
25 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 10:58:38 pm »

Wish me luck.
Lots of folks around here know I collect Coca-Cola,
there just seems to be very little to be had as far as soda machines
go. I was lucky to get this one from an photographer who had it
about 20 years in a damp basement.
I'll have to see what a former auto body guy mught be able to do.
But I think he might not have a spray area where he lives, just a garage.
I wanted to try to do prep work before paint to save a few greenbacks.
Terry
PS any collectors arouns St Louis, MO? I am south of STL.
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 11:04:34 pm »

There is plenty of machines in your area, if your south of St Louis, Eric Wideman is not far, Im right at 5 hrs from St Louis, 2 hrs from Springfield, Ive bought alot of machines in your neck of the woods. I bought 8 at one shot in Steelville (sp?) If you cant find anybody to sandblast and shoot it for you im aways away but would do it very resonable.

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 01:49:25 pm »

I live about 3 hours north of St. Louis. I see machines all the time in the St.Louis area on craigslist. There was a Nesbitt cooler for $50 in the last month but it was sold when i called. Missouri is loaded with deals. I bought a RC cooler and a cigarette machine in the last 2 months and they were cheap. Check all the weekly free papers in the gas stations sometimes you can find a deal in one of those.
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 01:56:17 pm »

I agree Missouri has it going on, I pick up 95% of my machines out of Missouri.

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 01:58:06 pm »

Anybody got any idea why there are more machines in one part of the country than others???

How about cost of living... Is it higher East or West coast???

I know I'v dragged it off topic but just interested...
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 02:21:10 pm »

It's always higher on the coast than anywhere else but you can still find stuff everywhere. I think the midwest is good but i live there and i can find more deals than i have money. You just have to always be on the lookout and be the first one on the scene. I also found out pretty quickly that you don't have much time to make up your mind. If you hesitate it's usually gone by the time you call back. I've had people tell me that they would ship an item and then change their mind and sell it to someone else. I've also had a person tell me they would sell it to me and then sell it to someone else before i could get there. For me the hunt is half the fun. I really like talking to you guys about this stuff. My wife complains that i spend to much time on the computer. tounge
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: