SMC Discussion Areas
July 06, 2024, 01:18:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Powder coated Master  (Read 3009 times)
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« on: November 15, 2008, 06:09:22 pm »

I sent a Master off to be powder coated last week. A test project to see how it all turns out. And I am happy to say I picked it up today. The results?...well...outstanding. And for less then a simular single stage paint job. I still need to get the lettering done and since I was unable to expose the lids to the heat required by the powder coating process, I also have to paint them to match. But none the less, I am happy with the results thus far.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 02:44:57 am »

Looks great, nice color match.
Good things to consider. Looking forward to the finished pictures.
Thanks!
Creighton
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 06:26:01 am »

Wow! That looks great!

Brian
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 04:33:24 pm »

Things to consider.

First off, powder coat does not stick to bondo or fiberglass. Therefore I had to use a near perfect box for the process. I fixed a few small spots by tapping and banging the areas strait.

These coolers are treated with hot tar during construction and it took a while to scrape most of it off. The soda blasting took care of the rest, so we thought. After powder coating the cooler was subjected to 400 degree heat and the remaining tar in the crevices seeped out. Luckily, not much. To fix this in the future I will heat it up prior to powder coating and clean it between this process and the application of the powder.

I bought reproductions lids from Steve at Sodajerks. Great pieces. But they are foam injected and the foam will not tolerate the 400 degree heat. So I will have to paint them to match.

Final Coat Powder Coating soda blasted and powder coated the main box and the cap catcher for $206.00. The results were...well, excellent! Better then most paint jobs. Even the paint booth paint jobs don't match this.

I paid $150.00 for the Standard cooler. Then bought two lids from Steve at Sodajerks for $95.00 ea.(total $190.00). I had a cap catcher (also available from the after market), and I bought the gaskets from Fun Tronics. I soda blasted the tub and found three very small pin holes preventing me from having it powder coated so I am repairing it and painting it with Hamertone grey.

This is the  first truely affordable project I have done lately.

I have two other boxes (one Master and one Standard) and maybe a vendo 83 (yes the big ol, very abundent yet not desirable Vendo 83) that I may powder coat this winter.

Thanks for the interest, and I hope this helps out some of the new guys to the hobby.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: