SMC Discussion Areas
June 02, 2024, 06:42:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homebrewing  (Read 16356 times)
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2009, 09:23:31 am »

I haven't touched it yet. I didn't have a whole lot of time, and I talked with a few people who also said to leave it in primary for 10 days at least before opening it up to take a SG reading. I started at 1.042. I'll pop it open this week and see what it looks like. I turned down the heat to see what that will do. I was able to maintain 70, but I'll just let it alone for now. This weekend I'll get it into stage 2. The timing actually works better for me anyway. I don't want to rush it.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2009, 04:20:37 pm »

Good idea!  The biggest problem with getting into homebrewing is that you have a tendency to rush the first batch.  When you grab a sample for the SG reading, you can also taste that sample.  It obviously will not be carbonated but it will taste like beer.  If you can taste a sweetness at all, it is not done fermenting.

One thing that I forgot to mention is to keep a log of notes on each batch including the type, amounts and brands of the ingredients.  That way if you like the way it turned out you can make it again.  I just looked back at a few of the batches that I have made over the years and the final SG's were all around 1.01 or lower.

The last batch that I brewed was in primary fermentation for 12 days and in secondary fermentation for about 6 weeks.  On that batch, the starting SG was 1.076 and the final SG was 1.015.  Approx. 6.4% alcohol!  tounge

You will also want to give the beer at least 6 to 8 weeks to finish in the bottles before you start cracking them out for all of your friends!  This batch should be a prime drinkability around Kentucky Derby time!

Patience is a very important ingredient to beer!

drinking Tim drinking
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2009, 09:30:32 pm »

This first batch was in a kit with all ingredients. I wrote the starting sg and date and I'll keep track of the major events. I plan on sampling it when I take my reading this weekend. Depending on how it tastes so far, I may gear up to start a 2nd batch. That should give me enough time in the secondary before bottling. I was kinda hoping to start drinking at the end of Feb. Maybe not? Once its bottled, does it get chilled immediately, or still maintain the same temps? I need to plan my storage for that. To easy to reach will probably be a bad thing.

I like the thought of the high alcohol content.. Thats something to look forward to. I really want to do a lager, but hear they are a bit tricky. I'll probably do a few more ales before I start moving up.

If you got any good beginner recipes, lemme know. I'd like to give some others a shot.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2009, 10:26:09 pm »

Once it is bottled, you will want to keep it in an area where it will stay above 60 for a bit.  If it is a five gallon batch and you are using 12 oz. bottles you will end up with about 2.5 cases of beer at the most so it won't take up too much space.  The reason that you want to keep the temp at fermenting level is to carbonate the beer.  Before you bottle you will add a bit of priming sugar to restart the fermentation in the bottles.  That creates the carbonation.  After about a week or so, I usually move the bottled beer down to the basement.  I only refrigerate my beer prior to drinking.

What kind of beers do you like?  I can recommend a few that have turned out well for me.

drinking Tim  drinking
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2009, 10:52:11 pm »

I like most lagers. My favorite store beer is Molson Canadian.... I also like some IPA.. not sure what to expect from the American Ale I'm brewing...

I've got the priming sugar. I thought my package said to just pour into the bottom of the bucket, then rack into it. This will mix it without adding too much oxygen from stirring.. I also read somewhere about mixing it with water and boiling it first. As far as bottle storage, my basement is mostly climate controlled, so it would be around 68, but has fluorescent lights.. I read thats a bad thing..

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2009, 11:30:34 pm »

As far as bottle storage, my basement is mostly climate controlled, so it would be around 68, but has fluorescent lights.. I read thats a bad thing..

Excuse my ignorance - but if the light is a problem, couldn't you just put a blanket or tarp over the cases of bottles?

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2009, 05:46:38 am »

The lights should not be a problem if the beer is in brown bottles.  Of course, covering it up would not hurt either.
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2009, 06:38:18 am »

I am going to use brown bottles. I didn't know how serious the florescent lights were.. I guess I am being overly cautious. 

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2009, 11:22:04 am »

Getting a step closer.. Took my FG reading this morning... 1.009 @68 degrees. The range was supposed to be 1.010-1.014. I racked into the carboy and filled the air lock with Vodka... not sure if that was a good idea, but I read others doing that. I also sampled it, and it tasted pretty good.. seemed a bit on the watered down side, but that could be no carbonation.. I'm going to get another brew going... Thinking about a blonde Ale.. Do you have anything in your recipe book for that?

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2009, 10:42:25 am »

Well, I went ahead and ordered another kit today... They didn't have anything blonde, but I did get a red..  biggrin Hoepfully I'll have it in time to brew this weekend.

I also am getting ready to bottle the first batch. Don't know if I'll have time this weekend, but next weekend for sure. What kind of tips do you have? I have a bottling bucket, a filler tube and a load of bottles.. I've seen people saying yes and no to sanitzing the bottle caps... what do you recommend?

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: