SMC Discussion Areas
July 03, 2024, 11:58:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Classic Machines in the Movies  (Read 9413 times)
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« on: September 14, 2008, 07:57:25 pm »

I saw a mention of this in another thread but did not want to hijack the thread.

I noticed in "Back to the Future"--Marty McFly is standing next to a VMC 81 (at a Classic Texaco Station) trying to twist the cap off of a Pepsi until George McFly takes the bottle and opens it on the opener mounted on the side of the machine!? next to the bottle rack.

Another is in "The Birds"--in the diner scene, there is a classic cigarette machine in the background.  The old bitty, Mrs. Bundy actually buys a pack of smokes (maybe Parliaments?)in the scene.  National, Rowe???--can anybody identify?

Here is the scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN-G19p7960

There is also a nice Coke Cooler next to the gas station in the next scene before it gets blown up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YbfWNxw2xU&feature=related

I'm sure there are a lot more movies out there that have classic machines but those are the only two that I can come up with now.  Anybody else care to add to the topic?

Tim drinking
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 08:07:26 pm by mznb1u » Logged
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 08:17:19 pm »

I posted a thread about this movie a while back, but there are several machines pictured in a 1970's Warren Oates movie called 'Two Lane Black Top' - I think James Taylor (the musician) is in it too.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 10:36:58 pm »

Watched 'The World's Fastest Indian' the other day.  During 2 different gas station scenes there was a Coke 81 and a Coke 56. 

My wife has gotten to where she points them out for me as well.

Marvin
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 11:17:38 pm »

The Twilight Zone is great for old cigarette machines, slots, and jukes.  I never saw a Coke machine or actually any beverage machine.

My biggest thrill was when I was watching the "Hustler" with Paul Newman and Jackie Gleason.  In the first five minutes Fast Eddie gets gas and decides to go into a bar.  Before he hustles the yokles, you see him playing a 1958 Bally All Star Deluxe bowling machine.  You never see the backglass or a close-up of the machine.  You just see the side graphics and the side cut away glass that was only used on that machine and a Williams baseball machine.  Of course I had to call the wife and kids in to see this....and they said "wow (ho hum) that is cool!?"  Well at least I thought it was cool because I was able to recognize the machine in a shadow off in the distance. 

Get a life, I say.

This seems like a really cool thread.  Has anyone else notice anything out of the (hobby) ordinary?Huh?

A lot of stuff.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 11:32:11 pm »

Great topic! If anyone asks me what kind of movie I like.....this is it!  happydrinkers

Like garage sales or swap meets, spotting these old vending machines, gas pumps, porcelin signs or classic cars in a movie is a thrill that most regular people just don't understand.

Glen
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 09:01:40 am »

Now if I could only find an old movie where a guy rides up on a vintage dirtbike to get a cold soda from a vendo decapper.

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 10:41:09 am »

That would have to be a Steve McQueen movie.

Glen
johnnyfizz
10 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 11:34:27 pm »

I'm diggin' up this old thread but in "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" (Ok, go easy on me ,I got kids)at the scene at The Alamo there's a old coke machine and candy machine against the wall.I tried to post a link off youtube. FF to the 6 and 9 minute marks. If it don't work a search should find it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Rw8YQNkO4
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 09:40:25 am »

It was a DVD Movie Christmas at our house this year.  My wife and I watched "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" yesterday afternoon.  I spotted a Westinghouse Standard-ice version in the scene where Jonathan Winters destroys the gas station.  He throws a brand new cooler out the door into the parking lot--ugh!  There is also a candy machine in the background but I did not reverse the movie to see what type.

Then later in the movie, there is a scene where Ethel Merman stops to make a call to her son and Sid Caesar and the British guy are enjoying a Coke near what looks like a Westinghouse WD-6.

This movie is a very funny, family friendly classic!  biggrin laugh Cool
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 12:19:23 pm »

In the heat of the night- there is a Vendo 81 if i remember right. I don't remember what scene it was in. It was an 81 or a 110. Would have to see the movie again.
On the waterfront- there is a westinghouse master down at the docks on the front of the little building where Marlon Brando gets the crap beat out of him .
In the Strange Love of Martha Ivers in a bar scene there are 2 Rowe cigarette machines in the background.
The Big Sleep- It was on last night and there was a cooler that looked like a Glascock Standard but looked wider and the bottles sat on a slant instead of flat.
30 Seconds over Tokyo- There was a machine that Van Johnson got 2 sodas out of . It was taller than him,looked about 3 1/2'- 4' wide, bottles sat on a slant in the bottom, had a padlock on top. It could have been a huge cooler. Never seen anything like it.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: