SMC Discussion Areas
June 26, 2024, 01:42:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie to the board and soda machines for that matter - some questions  (Read 3363 times)
jreyn
« on: August 28, 2008, 08:22:51 am »

I have a S@S  1400WD Pepsi machine.  I have to do a little re-wiring on it but the condensor fan is quiet and the compressor does run.  My questions are, does any one have a recommendation on service valves and where to install them at?  I need to pull a vacumm on it of course to see if any leaks.  Also can anyone tell me approx. how much freon it is going to take?  The tag is blank.  Thanks for any information.  I probably bought the Chevy Vega of soda machines.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 09:36:21 am »

Hello & welcome to the site!  Does your S&S cooler have a belt-driven compressor, or a sealed compressor?

If the system is cooling I'd suggest that you not disturb it. (if it aint broke-dont fix it), but if your condensors cooling fan isnt working, it's easy enough to replaced on a full size chest cooler. for newbe's I'd say dont start tearing up the cooling system unless it in need of repair.

If the unit isnt cooling however, first, address the wiring issues & then check so see if the compressor will run, sometimes a compressor can be stuck from sitting so long & the original start-run relay may not give the motor enough of a kick to start the compressor running. then you'd like to try a 3-in-1 starter/booster to replace the original start-run relay, the 3-in-1 will give the compressor an extra little kick in the pants to help it start up.

if it still wont start & only hums & then the overload breaker clicks out (in the 3-in-1) now you have a mecanical issue internally ( inside the compressor)

if the compressor is running & not cooling , unless you are handy with brazing, then you wil have to install a clamp on type of service valve onto the low side line (suction line) , thisis the large diameter line that comes out of the tank above, pick a spot that's easy to access & has a nice round section of tubing, CLEAN the copper line with some fine steel wool to remove any oxidation & dirt. (make it shine like new copper) were you are going to place the valve.

also note that the best way to check a system for leaks isnt with a vacuum pump & gauge, but with working pressure in the system & a refrigerant leak detector ( bubble type detection liquids work on larger leaks) 

Beware of units that are for sale that state " compressor doesnt run, but just needs a "shot" of freon"  this is another way of saying they are trying to sell a machine with a blown compressor. if it runs & cools only then it's a working machine, if they cant prove that it runs & cools. then adjust your purchase price accordingly. (figure in $300/less for a new compressor replacement)

As mentioned in a prior discussion area, also beware of "cant test becuse the plug has been removed" & "line cord has been cut off" "worked a few years ago".  "work last time I used it years ago" etc.  they are just dodging the fact that the bloody machine has big metal turd were the compressor used to be. and they know it.  tounge

as for how much of a charge of freon you may need , other members with simular S&S chests may be able to tell you what the info tags say for their machines.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 09:39:02 am by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
jreyn
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 11:49:47 am »

Meant to say that fan runs quietly not is quiet,haha.  Compressor does come on and is quiet but system will have to be charged.  Does one need an access valve on the pressure side for readings?  I know suction side needs one for recharging.  It has never had them, still original I guess.  Does have a filter/dryer that I am sure will need to be replaced also.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 12:40:29 pm »

You dont need to have a high-side port necessarily to just evacuate & recharge the system, although it's required to  diagnose the system for trouble shooting purposes.

The filter/dryer ( if accessible) should be changed, if it's not easy to get to, you may add an  addtional inline filter/dryer, on either line ( make sure your replacement is designed for whichever side you are putting it on...ie:high/ low)

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: