SMC Discussion Areas
June 29, 2024, 06:23:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hammertone Paint  (Read 4761 times)
bmw90w
10 Cent Member

« on: August 26, 2008, 06:09:56 pm »

Hey guys regarding the rustoleum hammertone. Is it kinda like powdercoating at all? I want to paint my racks,shelves,liners with it. Would this be okay to do? I dont think I will sell my machines, but if I do, I want it to be a quality job too. What do you recommend? Someone told me that hammertone was similiar to powdercoating since it was a "liquid powder"? This is all greek to me!!

Cavalier CS-96
Vendo 81-A
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 08:41:18 am »

Actually those are two completly different things, but both work very well.
Hammertone Paint is just that.. it's just paint, but it has a compound in it that when applied correctly gives the appearance of a "hammered" look to it which is great to hide imperfections in the surface your painting all along also providing a very tough coat to protect your metal against rust.

Powder coating is a completely different process, where the bare metal is "charged" electronically, almost like static electricity, and a plastic "powder" is lightly sprayed onto th surface and it "Clings" to the metal due to the charge. once the surface is completely covered in this powder (which you have a variety of colors to chose from) the peice is put into an oven where it is baked , causing the plastic powder to melt and bond together, actually sealing the metal in this plastic casing. when it dries it is hard as a rock and protects the metal, while also giving it a real nice look.

Powder coating will be stronger than hammertone paint, but of course costs considerely more than a $5.00 can of paint...

If your keeping the machine for yourself, Hammertone works just great, gives a nice finish and is easy and inexpensive to do..

I use it on alot of Gas PUmp parts, and occassionally on a Pop machine restoration for a budget minded customer, who doesn't want parts rezinc plated or powdercoated.

Read the can on how to apply to get the correct results.

Good luck!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
bmw90w
10 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 09:50:45 am »

I was confused because I saw a hammertone type of powdercoating.

Cavalier CS-96
Vendo 81-A
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 10:07:32 am »

I am not sure, but maybe there is a Hammertone finish in the powder coating process? never seen it but you never know?

Good luck, send photos when your done!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: