SMC Discussion Areas
April 18, 2024, 06:34:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Convert from Bottles to Cans  (Read 52064 times)
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 07:33:15 pm »

I just installed a can stack and shelves from a late model 63 into an early 56 today.

The only modification I had to do was cut 7 shelves shorter.

Glen
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 07:43:42 pm »

I'm still trying to understand the whole 56/63 thing.

Does the can version of the 56 share it's vend stack (but not it's shelves) with the can version of the 63?
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 08:05:56 pm »

>>Does the can version of the 56 share it's vend stack (but not it's shelves) with the can version of the 63?

Yes, as far as I understand these things. Major difference between 56 and 63 was the width of the machine. And the length of the shelves.

Glen please share how and where you cut down shelves. If it be a trade secret I understand :-)

Creighton

sodaman
25 Cent Member

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 10:43:07 am »

Wow!!  Thanks guys I got some useful stuff from that discussion.

VMC 81:RC, 7UP Pepsi
Jacobs: 26(4), 160, 35, 50, 56 
Quikold RC, Orange Crush, Barqs
General Vending Leader , Master & Midget(THE DALY 32)
American Vendor 124
Guiberson, DP 27 W/stand
VMC 33 7UP, Pepsi 
Mills 45, 47A, 120 W/bottle display
2 Delf Triples VMC 72
70+ soda Venders, 6 Stoner
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2017, 10:06:18 pm »

Traveling but will check on Tue.
Creighton
sjt1803

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2018, 07:49:35 am »

I have been working to revive a 60's Pepsi machine. This question of converting or modifying my machine to vend cans came up quickly.

When I used these machines as a kid they vended bottles. I did not really want to change the machine to vend cans only. I then looked into alternatives. I thought it should be possible to modify the vending stack to make that happen for a few shelves by adding the ability to vend cans as well.
I did a search on here and found someone else had the same idea. His solution was very sound. It requires drilling a hole in the front bottle rack plate and installing a rod and knob to allow the can to be pulled forward.

I was ready to make this modification, then I decided to look out in the world and see if there was any other possible solutions....there is.

My solution requires NO modification to a bottle vending stack at all.
It is inexpensive.

There are only 2 things to be considered. First, the vending stack must work smoothly.
The second is, along with dealing with the empty can , you need to recycle the adapter.

There are adapters made for cans that allow them to have a cap. They effectively turn a can into a bottle!
They are cheap.
I wasn't sure, they would be on tight enough to overcome the force needed to pull it through the gate.
They are.
Of course, if this was a location machine, the adapters would be pulled off by those trying to pull a soda for free, in the home environment this is not an issue.

See the photos attached.

They show a adapted Pepsi can, a Mexican Pepsi bottle, and a Vintage Pepsi bottle refilled by me.

All of the above vend from my machine, and more.

The machine is a VFA56B-B

« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 08:03:31 am by sjt1803 » Logged
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2018, 02:30:55 pm »

Very cool, thanks for sharing!......................

Now where can we get some of these?   drinking

Glen
belairbrian

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2018, 08:01:31 pm »

Very cool, thanks for sharing!......................

Now where can we get some of these?   drinking

As with most things Amazon has them under the name Can Convert. I've also seen them at Dollar Tree.  The original intent was to make it possible to close a half used can for later.
sjt1803

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2018, 10:17:24 am »

I didn't know about dollar tree will take a look  for them. (mine came from ebay)
Wish I could order them in a single color. (for Pepsi -blue)
They normally are packaged one per color.

When using them, don't just lightly press on but press on with weight behind it for a firm fit.
If your gates are working smoothly, the adapter caps should stay in place and allow the can to be pulled past them.

Just remove the adapter once vended, and re-use later. Simple solution.

Steve

vendo81d
10 Cent Member

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2019, 11:01:34 am »

Thanks for the tip on Can Convert Sgt1803.  I bought six from Amazon and just got them.  They came from Thailand and took forever to come.  I just ordered another batch from eBay and they'll come from Michigan, so I should get them a lot faster.  I paid less than $11 for 18 of them.  I checked the local Dollar Tree and didn't see any there. 

I tested them in a Cavalier 72.  I had to move the shelves to the front notch and it's still a bit of a reach but it is workable.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: