SMC Discussion Areas
April 30, 2024, 06:17:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silver King Peanut Dispenser Project  (Read 8980 times)
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« on: May 15, 2008, 06:15:42 am »

Welp, here's a nother project that I've been working on that is pretty much completed. It's a late-40's Silver King Peanut Dispenser. I picked this up last November at the Chicago Show and just recently got around to fooling around with it. I completely disassembled it and beadblasted it and repainted it. I also replaced the dried up power cord, rubber grommet, rubber tack feet, light socket and globe gaskets. I took all of the originally polished parts and cleaned them off an re-polished them to give them that extra shine.

Pictures could be a bit better but here's a few. I've dropped my digital a few times and I think this is part of the problem as well as operator error!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 06:19:38 am by BrianB » Logged

Brian
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 06:31:24 am »

Brian,

That's sharp looking.  Nice job!  I always wanted one of those and for one reason or another, I never picked one up.  Maybe one day.

A lot of stuff.
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 07:12:00 am »

That does look nice...Well done. Wish I had half your skill and patience.

I finally got a Silver King Peanut Machine the other day.
Does yours blink when warm??

Are you going to bolt on a vortex/dixie cup holder??  I want to but just can't find one.

Dave
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 09:39:44 am »

Nice job Brian!
Let's see how that Penny Box in the background turned out!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 11:29:25 am »

Dave,

Yep, it blinks. I had a hard time finding blinking bulbs but finally located a source that was way cheaper than anybody else and in bulk. I paid $7.49 for 25 bulbs versus $3.00 for one! I also spent some time finding a replacement socket. I poured over the internet without much luck and ended up finding at my local big-box hoime improvement store, Lowes, and for only a couple of dollars.

I'd love to get a Dixie Vortex cup dispenser for it! They just cost so much.....When the cup dispenser costs almost as much as the machine it's going that when I start re-thinking things. I'll keep my eyes open though.

The Penny Box is just about done, I just have to throw the new decal on it and do some fine tuning to it.

Brian
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 11:39:30 am »

Ha .... I was wondering why mine didn't blink... Perhaps its the bulb.

Tom - you have razor sharp eyes to be able to spot the penny machine. Had to go back and
look twice...

Dave
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 12:47:56 pm »

I had an advantage Dave - I redid the rejector for it and knew he was working on one.

Tom - you have razor sharp eyes to be able to spot the penny machine.

Hardly - had to get reading glasses recently - eyes don't work as good as they used to.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 02:21:59 pm »

Dave,

Do you need/want a couple of flasher bulbs? If you PM me your address info in the UK I'll post you a few bulbs.

Brian
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 10:36:02 pm »

Very, very nice... Yeah I need that model too!....
Nice to work on these little guys and bring them back.. Way to go! smile

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 09:58:18 am »

Regarding the Flasher bulbs... question.. is it the bulbs that flash or is it some ciruitry in the socket that makes it flash? I have a flasher bulb in my Ajax Hot nut machine but after a while the bulb just stays on and gets too hot.. one I might have too high of wattage bulb but don't see any markings on it indicating it to be a flasher?

any insight to this would be great.. plus I'd be interested in a bulb if I can't find one at Menards?

John

Oh yeah,, nice looking machine Brian!! biggrin

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 01:26:34 pm »

It's the bulb itself. I've had one burning in my other Silver King Nut Machine for about 6 months now with no problems. Sounds like you might have a bulb with too low a wattage rating. The flasher bulbs work by heating up just enough to begin opening and closing a disc contact and that gives you the intermittent action. If you pump to much juice through it, it won't work correctly and the contact will stay closed because it can't contract into the open position.

There is also a product called a flasher outlet that can be plugged into any 115VAC wall outlet. You then plug into it any light fixture (except flourescent!) and it will flash.
http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/12-34-outlet-adapters/outlet-flasher-235325.aspx

I can send you a bulb, PM me with details!

Brian
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 07:30:04 am »

Super nice job.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: