SMC Discussion Areas
June 26, 2024, 02:16:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving a large amount of machines????? ANY IDEAS????  (Read 7187 times)
Sodaman101
5 Cent Member

« on: May 08, 2008, 01:01:01 am »

OK all prob this weekend I will be moving 2 westy coolers, a juke and 2 upright machines the tallest being 6'. So since this will be my largest amount to move at once, should I lay down the 6' machine? I will probably rent a U-haul trailer( I have to call them and see how tall the sides their trailers are) and Im kinda leery of having a 6' machine standing upright on the highway. So Any ideas? I wish one of my friends who had a NICEEEEE trailer with 4' sides and back ramp still lived in MI; that would have been a good trailer to use. But as for what I have done in the past I have just laid down a machine in the back of a full size van. So this will be my first multi machine adventure. I would make more single trips but GAS is a KILLER......... Any one here have any ideas or experience? I may just rent a uhaul moving van( figuring they get 10mpg (according to uhaul.com) and my van prob gets 13-15 when unloaded and who knows when I have a trailer.

PROS for my van and uhaul trailer = no .59 cent charge per mile( prob around 81 dollars), maybe save on MPG gas

Pros for Uhaul moving " 14' thrifty mover" = could be easier to load, maybe just as much$$$$ in the end? and I could keep machines standing up( because of the moving truck walls.

This is kinda overwhelming    so      IM ALL EARSSSSSSSSSSSSS
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 05:59:12 am »

I just looked at Uhauls site, and their biggest trailer is only 5'5 tall, so you wouldn't be able to stand it up in there..

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 06:27:09 am »

I think their open trailers are high enough to accommodate,,, Depending on size maybe...

My six cents,

Jim

memorylane
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 06:48:15 am »

Do not use them, there is no place inside to strap down a machine, there is only a thin wood strip down each side. I rented one to take a few machines to FL. and when I got there, a mess. You need to go and look inside first. I put 4 machines, standing up, on my Dodge dakota, all the time. 3 to 8 hour trips. Cover them good and wrap them.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 10:02:35 am »

Some of the trailers do not have tie-downs or they are broken, but most do I think. Just have a look inside the trailer before you sign the dotted line and verify that the trailer has them.
They now limit the size trailer that you can rent based on the vehicle that will be doing the pulling.
Make sure at least 60% of the weight is in the front half of the trailers - don't be loading your machines last or your next stop will be jack-knife city!
Also get lots of moving pads and wrap everything and tie each machine in individually
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 10:05:17 am by collecture » Logged

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 10:08:42 am »

I have used the uhaul enclosed trailers twice and mine did not have tie-downs. I would also use an open trailer or go with a Uhaul truck (if it has tie-downs) even if it does cost a little more you time is also worth money so if you can cut down 4 or 5 trips into one or two that is worth a lot if it were me. How far is your move?
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 10:26:32 am »

How far is your move?
From the milage cost figures - about 137 miles.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Sodaman101
5 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 11:15:58 pm »

Collecture, and others you are correct, round trip is 137 miles( big southeastern Mi loop). For the trailers I was looking at the open ones due to height of machines But having something standing up with only say a 2-3 ft side( if I'm lucky) creeps me out. I looked into renting a penski truck too and they are newer so I may go that route. This trip is being pushed back till next weekend of the 17th so I can plan more. I need to get more ratchet straps( harbor freight) and do a layout of them to see what machine goes where..... and I think I have 2 more machines I will pickup too( when it rains it pours)....... So while I hate to rent a full moving truck( cause I'm cheap and would rather use that( oh around 150.00 in the end) to buy something cool LOL, my sanity is also a factor. Any other tips I'M all ears, thanks for the tips thus far......OH and I will be sure to Document this in picture form for Kicks LOL.

Some PS's   

Memory lane....... you have had machines standing upright in your truck before.... how did you tie them down? The built in tiedowns on the truck? Just was curious.

Josh, yea I think I will go with a moving truck( small one) the van + trailer prob does as poopy on gas mileage and the truck has a nice ramp and other " luxuries".

Anyway thanks all, Adam
memorylane
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 06:57:25 am »

I have put 4 full size machines, standing up wright. First, I always put a moving blanket down, put the machine on top of that, fold it up around the machine and shrink wrap that. Next I put one over the top and wrap that, then I wrap one around the center. I then fold a large towel over, about 6" and drap it over the top, then you shrink wrap the whole machine to make it water proof, Always take packing tape and cover the top and sides in strips. Thats so the shrink wrap don't start blowing around. Now you have a very well wrapped machine, that you can slide around and put your hand truck under with out nicking up the bottom of the machine. I do this on every machine I deliver.
Now, run your strap over the top of the machine, on the thick towel you folded over, hook the strap under the bed rail on each side and make tight. One strap per machine is all you need. Use the good yellow straps from Sams club. The machines are good to go. I have been moving machines like this for 15 years. Hope this helps. P.S The post office, will give you the Proirity mail packing tape for free. Or you can order it on line for free and they will bring it to your door, no charge, got to love the post office.
memorylane
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 06:59:42 am »

EXAMPLE!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: