SMC Discussion Areas
May 02, 2024, 06:34:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 36" Coke Button  (Read 13034 times)
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« on: May 06, 2008, 11:41:31 pm »

I have a shot at a 36" Coke Button from a local seller and want to make sure that I don't get scammed.  From the pictures it looks like an old style button from the 50's; however, what markings etc. do I need to look for the make sure?  Is $150 to $200 a good price if it is authentic and not a re-pro?  Did they even make re-pros of this type of button?  Good pictures of a real McCoy and any tell-tale markings would be helpful.

SignGuy   help

Thanks in advance for any input. 
Tim
Sodaman101
5 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 03:12:18 am »

HEY TIM  biggrin ...... well for one bring a magnet and then if it does not stick to the sign you know its plastic :-). Also I believe they have repoed  these in the past outa steel too so the major thing I think of is to look for the patent verbiage under the coca cola wording. Other then that hopefully others have ideas.... On the off chance was that the sign that the guy said he had a glob of drywall mud on? Just was wondering LOL wouldn't you think to maybe try and remove that while one owned the sign? And with that; my insomnia is cured and back to sleep.  Oo Adam
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 08:25:47 am »

Can you provide a picture? that would help tremndously. you can email me directly if you want at signguy@cokenstuff.com
does it just have the wording, Drink Coca-Cola or does it have the Bottle and Coca-Cola?
The botlle one has been reproduced in the past, but generally says reproduced for Coca Cola 1991.
The originals will have a marking with an A M then some numbers under the Coke logo, typically, (ie) AM 91 or something of that variation.

Also check the layering of paint as the originals where screened one color at a time and you'll see some layering of the paint on the bottle (if it's a bottle version)

at 150-200 and in really nice condition, yes it's a good deal.. Nice Clean originals, near mint bring around 650-700.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 08:35:05 am »

Did they repop a 36" button? I thought they only did the smaller ones?
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 08:39:51 am »

Your Right, Not the 36" , I was thinking of the 24" they did, as well as a 12" for sure. You see these all the time on the new fountain drink machines at Fast Food restaurants.

they are the ones with the bottle and the workds Coca-Cola across it .

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 08:47:47 am »

Do you know if it's porcelain or just painted...?

My six cents,

Jim

sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 10:23:25 am »

I have a few 36" coke buttons. They did actually reproduce the 36" button in plastic in 1996. They were the version with the bottle on them. The plastic buttons are thick but light and very easy to tell that they are plastic. They are marked on the bottom front "1996 The Coca-Cola company All rights reserved". On the authenic buttons mine has "Reg. U.S. PAT. OFF." just under the Coca-Cola lettering and it also has "am 8-55x" under the "In Bottles" This would be the date it was manufactured. Hope this helps.

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 11:36:51 am »

Wow, thanks for the tips. i'm going to have to check mine tonight

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 09:26:36 pm »

Thanks for the tips guys!  I will post pics if I end up buying it.
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 06:52:27 pm »

I finally got a chance to check out the Coke Button tonight.  The guy is in the middle of a move and all of his stuff was in storage.

It is a 36" button with the bottle and Coca-Cola across the middle.  It has a few chips in it as it appears to have been hung outside at some point during its life.  I have attached a picture but it is not the greatest.

There are a few chips in the finish to the left of the bottom of the bottle and near the "o" in Coca.  The finish is in decent shape but there are some scratches hear and there.

The thing that bothers me is that I could not find any of the markings described in the previous posts (i.e.  AM-XX or Reg. US Patent Office).  I looked the sign over very carefully and could not find markings on the front, the rim or the back.  The guy wants $200 which seems like a lot.  And BTW the white mark on the bottle was drywall compund.  It has been cleaned off.

I was thinking of offering him $125 but I don't know if even that seems to high based on the condition.  I am buying it to display on the wall by my two machines (Vendo-39 and Cavalier USS -8-64)!  Any suggestions from the experts!

THANKS!

Tim
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 08:30:42 pm »

These signs are getting more and more expensive as the years go by. If you like the sign, I believe $150 to $200 to be a fair price. If you can get it for $125, and it is porcelin, I would jump on it. Just make sure it is the real thing, not a repro or a repainted one.

I am looking for a nice coke button myself.

Good luck.
Sodaman101
5 Cent Member

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 10:29:20 pm »

Hey did you buy it? Just curious, the lack of any Pat office markings makes me think its been repainted or is a repo( anyone correct me if im wrong)............. And in my opinion like Ace ventura pet detective  " I dont do repo's" LOL
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: