SMC Discussion Areas
April 27, 2024, 12:15:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo H90B - Case - Dent Repair  (Read 16923 times)
SRock

« on: April 21, 2008, 09:07:40 pm »

Hello, I'm new to soda machines... I found a 'nice looking' Vendo H90B... brought it home vacuumed out the mouse nests etc, disassembled, cleaned, power washed etc and now I'm at a loss as to how to repair the dent in the right side of the case.

The repair doesn't have to be perfect but I'd like to get it as close as right as possible.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!
aspbear
25 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 09:32:23 pm »

If you can get to the back of the dent you should be able to push that out with a little force.  Just try a wide wooden block and a rubber hammer, as long as it is not creased this should work.

aspbear
SRock

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 10:25:01 pm »

I'd assume that I should lay the case on it's side to get at it more easily?
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 10:54:08 pm »

Your gonna have to take the liner and insulation out in order to properly "push" that dent out as the earlier post mentioned.. if it's creased then you'll have a harder time Hiding the dent. You won't get it completely gone unless you stripped it down and did some body work on it and then filler, sand, prime and repaint. But for the casual everdya machine,, hey some dents give it character!
Good luck!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
SRock

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 11:45:51 pm »

I like the brute force method best, wooden blocks and hammers are my favorite.  One person I talked to told me that I would have to 'shrink' the metal to remove the dent... he's a car guy is there any thing to this and if so how would I go about 'shrinking' the metal?
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 04:12:13 pm »

In the car industry, shrinking metal to regain its form/shape is accomplished with extreme heat and cold or wet rags to work the metal back into a particular form or shape. This technique will damage your paint so unless you're planning a complete re-paint, I would go this route.

As previously mentioned, your best bet is to remove the refrigeration system, vending rack/shelves, liner and insulation to really expose both sides of the dent to work back to "as close as possible" for a no paint repair...  If you try to pry between the liner and the cabinet in an atttempt to push out the dent, you may damage the liner...

If you're mechanically inclined, breaking things down, provided everything goes smoothly, should take a couple of hours... Flattening out the dent another half hour and re-assembly may take another two hours...  So, it looks like a half days work to get the dent into presentable condition...

My six cents,

Jim

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 08:05:07 pm »

My version is the lazy man's way!  laugh

Drill a series of 1/8" holes all along the crease line, use an "L" shaped tool to pull the metal as close as possible to level. Mask the side of the machine from the white/red dividing line on down. Fill the crease and holes with body filler and sand smooth with a longboard, then paint and decal that top white section only.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 08:09:22 pm by MoonDawg » Logged

Glen
SRock

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 12:28:09 pm »

Jim & Moondawg,

I have the machine torn down to the point that all I need to do is remove the door and liner, which I am going to do.  I'll attack the dent from the inside to see what I can do with it.  Eventually I will repaint the whole thing but for now I just want to straighten the case out. 

Also I have a two dimples where the door latch was cammed into the exteror of the case, these need to be driven back down also... should I heat these or work them cold?  They are about 3/8" high.

One other thing that I 'd like to do while I have the liner out is to fix some minor rust around the screw holes on the bottom and to repaint/recoat it.  Can I do this with a brush, or spray cans with good results or am I better off to have this done by a pro with a spray system?  Also, what paint or coating would you recommend and where should I get it from?

Thanks again for your excellent descriptions and suggestions, they will help a mechanically inclined and super motivated 'new guy' to do the best job possible!

Sean
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 02:46:15 pm »

when removing the rust, make sure it's all gone.. best is to sand blast it if you have access to one? otherwise I'd look into some of that rust inhibitor paint that they use on old cars. it neutralizes rust and stops it plus coats it for future protection...
Make sure to redo the insulation as well..
Good luck!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
SRock

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 11:36:20 pm »

SIGNGUY,

Thanks for the tips!

Does anyone else have any input on the following:

Also I have a two dimples where the door latch was cammed into the exteror of the case, these need to be driven back down also... should I heat these or work them cold?  They are about 3/8" high.

What kind of paint or coating would you recommend for the liner and where should I get it from?  Should this be applied by a pro with a spray system or can I do it at home?

Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: