SMC Discussion Areas
May 02, 2024, 04:31:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wanted Kelvinator 180 Lid  (Read 12296 times)
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« on: April 08, 2008, 10:45:17 am »

I am looking for a Kelvinator 180 Royal Crown lid. I only need one. I want this only for the RC embossing on the back. I am wanting to make a fantasy RC Cola machine from my transitional ST Vendorlator 56. Vendorlator never embossed a ST 56 and I am not trying to pass this off as a real machine. This machine was originally a  un-embossed RC56 that I obtained in a trade from a close friend of mine. It was a mechanical machine and I sold it to Joey for parts for his RT56. He then gave me back the shell of the machine later when I came for a visit. I have since pieced it back together as an electric vend machine (thanks to Roger) and it now sits at my Moms house in Ohio. I know I have said this in the past but this machine really means a lot to me and I will NEVER sell this machine. That is why I don't mind welding in an embossing. I will leave the back side rough so if anyone ever does get the machine they will easily be able to see that this is originally a generic machine.  This is still just a thought. I have planned to paint the machine yellow and do a RtV81 theme with it, I have just recently thought about welding in the embossing. I think that the K81 lid embossing is the only size that will fit in the small area above the coin door in the transitional 56. I would appreciate any thoughts on this. Also if this is strongly apposed I will not do it. Please post your opinion.
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 11:06:38 am »

I personally don't see any problem making the fantasy RC embossed machine as long as, like you said, you or anyone else didn't try to pass it off as the real thing.  Leaving it rough on the backside is not a bad idea either.  I think it would be a great looking machine, as I really like the old RC yellow machines.

Just a thought, would the embossing from the RC picnic cooler be too small?  They are probably much easier to find, and pretty cheap for one that may be rusted out in the bottom but have a good side with embossing!

Greg

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
Pat Pixley
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 01:49:14 pm »

Greg, I was going to say the same thing about the picnic cooler I think that
a picnic cooler would be a better fit for that area.

And Josh I don't think you would have a problem with this group , we all know
 you pretty well and know you would not try anything shady your upstanding and honest guy.

Plus Kilroy knows people in Detroit who know people who know people who know people laugh laugh.
    (  Just joking Kilroy)
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 03:02:09 pm »

Josh

here's a picture of the embossing on my picnic cooler...

The embossed part is approx 11" X 6.5"

Hope that helps

Dave
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 07:12:05 pm »

I have a decent RC cooler available. The only issue I see is I believe the metal is of a thinner guage then the machines. Coolers are thin skinned and some what easily dented and dinged.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 07:28:34 pm »

Thanks for the help. I thin the Cooler would look better but I think it may be too big. The area is really small. Here is a pic. I thought everyone world be Ok with this. I just wanted tp make sure first. I think it would look really cool yellow. If I don't emboss it I won't mind. I will just use decals and it will look just as cool.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 08:52:25 pm »

Cool Idea Josh, I think that would look cool if you can find the right embossing.
Another thought if you can't get the embossing and might help on size is the idea of layering vinyl graphics on top of each other.. .SOmeone had mentioned that once before.
I would think 5-6 layers of vinyl then a good coat of clear would give the same effect as embossing? would be cool to try it sometime.. Maybe I'll try it in my "Free Time" laugh
Just a thought!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Pat Pixley
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 09:15:11 pm »

Hey Dave what is the messurement from the top of the K in Drink to the bottom of
the T in Best
And Josh what is the messurement's  from top to bottom  in the area that this would have to go in.
I would think it would work

loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 10:19:53 pm »

The machine is in Ohio and I am in Singapore so I can't measure right away. I will ask my Mom to go out and measure it soon. 
Pat Pixley
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 12:03:25 am »

Josh I do know your in Singapore, I was figuring when you came back for a visit.             You could still get the one from Rckid and have it setting there waiting when you got
home  sothat way it's all there in one place Oo.

Now that what I would do  oh
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 03:34:39 am »

RC Kid says he has a decent cooler. I don't want to cut up a good cooler. Id rather wait for a rusted out cooler. I won't touch this machine for a while anyway.
Chedki
25 Cent Member

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 08:58:37 am »

loman4ec,

I have a Kelvinator 180 RC lid in great shape. Are you still interested in it or have you decided to use the embossed portion from a Royal Crown Cola picnic cooler? Let me know if you want me to post a picture of it.  smile

Royal Crown Cola Ideal 55 slider
Nichol Kola Quikold Standard
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 09:06:45 am »

I am very interested in the lid. Could you post a pic and give the dimensions. What do you want for it? I think it may be the best route since it will be thicker steal and I think the size may be better.
Chedki
25 Cent Member

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 11:51:34 pm »

Measures at 22 inches wide and 11 1/2 inches high. All the lettering is embossed, including the "REG. U.S. PAT. OFF."

« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 11:54:42 pm by Chedki » Logged

Royal Crown Cola Ideal 55 slider
Nichol Kola Quikold Standard
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 01:04:29 am »

Thanks Chedki. i will know the size of the area tomorrow and I will let you know. i think it is going to be too big. Also to the members that are more experienced in welding is there enough metal on the bottom to weld it in place without ruining the embossed letters?
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 01:07:35 am »

Yes that is way too big. I thought they were much smaller than that. Looks like I will have to butcher a picnic cooler.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 10:18:04 am »

After thinking about this I am leaning toward the vinyl stacking method. Has anyone tried anything similar to this? It makes a lot of since but I think making the edges look right would be rally difficult. Would each piece have to be slightly smaller? Obviously I have a lot of time to contemplate this. i really like this machine. I think the transition machines have a lot of character and they are more scarce than both the round top and square top machines. what are your opinions? 
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 10:57:46 am »

A continuous weld will warp the metal, no matter how slow you go.
I've found that spot welding and filling.......is the best method.

I have seen vinyl letters layered and clearcoated,they looked like
real embossing.  I believe they were cut from some extra thick material
and it was the clearcoat that rounded them at the top and bottom.   

You could get a sign shop to make some letters and practice on a piece
of metal with some brush-on resin, then keep us posted.  happydrinkers

Glen
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 10:59:40 am »

Josh ~ I think there would be some tapering involved, but not necessarily every layer.  You would have to study some other embossed letters to see how they look.  The good thing is, like you said, you have plenty of time to think about this before doing anything.  That way, you can't rush into something and then later wish you had done things another way.

As much as I like the yellow machines, I honestly like your transitional machine just the way it sits in its original graphics.  I've never seen a transitional machine in person, so I only have the pictures you guys have posted as a reference.  There is something to be said about that late 50s/early 60s red and white diamond graphic RC used and the way the machine is painted.  Yes, it would be even nicer had they embossed them!  Bottom line...you have to do what will make you happy with the machine.  In all things I collect, I keep in mind the scarcity of an item before I go about modifying it from original.  Keep us posted on what you decide!

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 11:15:44 am »

Like I said earlier, I think the vinyl stacking would be the most cost effective and possible eaiser wasy to go? and like Glen said.. .the clear will help round it out, and hide any edges you would have ... aslo there is different thicknesses of vinyl too. so make sure to use the thicker stuff and you would probably only need 3-5 layers to give a nice effect...

I might just try this sometime as i have access to a vinyl machine and just put it on a piece of metal to see how it turns out?

I'll report back on that.

John

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 09:36:36 pm »

I will try and get out to the garage this weekend and pull out the old RC cooler I have. I believe it to be an excellent donor for your project. Not so great that I want to restore it but not so bad as to throw it out. I'll post pics this weekend. $30.00 and it is yours. Minus the trim and lid, which I will use on another cooler I have.

loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 10:01:35 pm »

Let me know when you see it. Do you have a way of cutting out one panel. It would save on shipping
bmclemore
5 Cent Member

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 07:15:33 pm »

I've got a rusted Kelvinator 180, I could check the lids to see if they're any good, I haven't looked at them in years.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2008, 09:07:44 pm »

!80 lids are too big. I am going to have to look for a rusted out picnic cooler.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: