SMC Discussion Areas
April 28, 2024, 12:28:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 39  (Read 20938 times)
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« on: March 24, 2008, 11:37:03 pm »

I have a line on a Vendo 39--the earlier all red model.  According to the seller it is in original condition and is in good working order.

help Being that I am very new to this hobby, I am looking for any pointers or things to look out for when I go to see it.  I want to make sure that it is what it is supposed to be.  Is there a registry or a way to de-code the serial number? help  Has anyone ever manufactured a reproduction model of this machine?  If so, how can I tell the re-pro from the real McCoy?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Tim
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 12:02:02 am »

Too the best of my knowledge nobody has done a re-pop of a 39. Major items to check would be, is it complete. Drum, coin mech etc.. Next is condition of the main shell. Any signs of rust through? Parts are pretty easy and sheet metal can be fixed. Drives the restoration cost up past the break even point if too much work is required though.
Picture?
Creighton

loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 12:44:43 am »

Yep most parts are available but can be costly. Mainly the drum and coin mech. How much do they want for the machine?
Sodaman101
5 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 02:26:54 am »

And assuming it has the old bottle drum; It only vends the small bottles( the 6 oz-8oz ones) If I recall correctly and only one flavor. So from a practical standpoint they lack in practicality( was that redundant LOL :-) This is why my slant shelf machine is my hero  biggrin
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 05:11:22 am »

Here are the pictures.  The guy wants $500.00 for it and I am going to check it out later this afternoon.  My Cavalier USS 64 will be my everyday machine.  I just thought it would be fun to have one of the older machines for parties and this seemed like a good deal if it still works as the seller is indicating.

More importantly, I have the okay from the War Department because her family bottled Coke for four generations and she would like one of the old machines.  I figured I better move quickly.  I also thought if it was a complete machine that it could be a fun restoration project for my sons and I.

I was asuming that it had the older drum as well--is there an easy way to tell if it has the newer one?

Aside from the cost of the newer drum (if it needs one) how hard is it to change that out?

What about the cost and availability of the coin mechanism if that is missing?  Or is it easy to set this machine to free-vend in the alternative?

The thing that had me a bit confused is the box (see picture) that is in the pre-cool area of the machine.  I have seen a lot of pictures of the Vendo 39's before and after restorations and have never seen one with that.  Perhaps just an add-on somewhere along the way.  Any thoughts on this?

Sorry for all the questions but I really do appreciate all thoughts or comments from the group!

Thanks guys!

Tim
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 06:49:47 am »

Looks like the earlier version... "Ice Cold" embossed on the door.
Unless it has the modification drum fitted afterwards it will have probably come with the original drum.

You can buy modified drums for the larger bottles and even can drums have appeared in the past.
I think that the drum change is as simple as undoing the nut. Providing you have the fingers etc attached.

As already stated all parts for V-39 are either repro'd or appear regularily on Ebay...
I think $500 is a good price for the machine but others are better placed to tell you.

I have absolutely no idea what that box is but it doesn't seem to have anthing attached to it... 

SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 08:27:25 am »

He's asking $500... so that means go with $350 CASH in hand and see if he'll take it... but even at $500 it's not a bad price for a classic machine, wether you use it or not.. still one of the most recognizeable COke machines ever produced...
Looks pretty clean too,,, probably wouldn't need a new paint job, just a buffer.. JMO

As far as function... it will most likely only hold the small bottles, which are available at most wharehouse chains, and some grocers...

For $500 i'd go for it if it where near me....

Oh does it cool? if it does... ask him to have it plugged in and running when you get there to be sure.... otherwise.. refridgeration can get costly...

Good luck

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 08:31:14 am »

Looks to be all complete and that is the original drum in there.
I would keep the original drum with the early 39, but that just me....
$500 is a good price for a 39!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 08:33:08 am »

Its a nice machine. If it cooled and it was close to me I would easily pay $500 for it but as signguy said $350 cash in hand may catch his eye. I like the 39's. Even though they only vend 6.5 oz bottles. But there are a lot of people here that refill and recap their small bottles. That is what I would do if I had a 39. Only makes sense to me. The pre cool tray just looks like something someone has stuck in their. The normal bottom of the precool area usually collects some water from condensation so someone probably used that area for sandwiches or something like that that they didn't want to get wet. I agree though make sure it cools. It can get expensive to fix the refrigeration unit. Just getting someone local to look at it can be hard. Also remember that if you lay it down to bring it home wait 24 hours to plug it in!
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 09:00:31 am »

I love the classic looks of the V-39. I have two right now and they are easy to work on and parts are available. You can get drum capable of holding cans but the little bottles are still available at most supermarkets and I find them a lot cooler to use, even though they are a little more costly. If you do decide to go the can route the modified drum may run around $350.00. You can test the coin mech out before buying your machine as it is a mechanical devise and does not require electricity to work. I would ensure that everything does function, but even if it doesn't, it probably can be fixed with a little tinkering, Although I have a hard time myself with the cion mechs. The refrigeration is also easy to up-grade. Look up Globle Refrigeration, they are located in texas I believe. If you do need a new unit look at spending upwards to $700.00. You may be able to get someone local to look at your unit if it runs but does not cool, which is usually the case.
Looking at the pictures of your prospective buy I would jump on it. Just ensure there is no rust through on any of the metal. Take a flash lite and get down and look really good in the compressor area, especially the roof above the compressor. Look closely for little pin holes that would indicate severe rust on the inside of the box. If the seller allows, you should push on this area with a screw driver, if it is rusted out the screw driver will push right through. Even if it is rusted through it can be repaired, just requires a good bodyshop guy. But this will add to the cost of the restoration. Also check the inside bottom of the cabinet to ensure it too is solid. These cabinets are easy to reproduce and I can get one here in NC made out of stainless steel for a couple hundred dollars.
When restoring this machine ensure everything works properly prior to final paint and assembly. You don't want to damage your exspensive paint job by taking things off and on repeatedly. So assemble everything prior to painting, take photos of all of your adjustments, then tear it down and send it off to the paint shop. When it comes back the final assembly will be much easier. Don't forget to tag your parts and hardware as you remove them and remember, never throw anything away, keep everything so you will have the correct piece to use as a guide. When replacing screws or bolts, I take the hardware with me when I go to the hardware store. And the little spacers, they are hard to find in the correct size, so I clean them up and reuse them when possible.
You should check out Funtronics and get one of their catalogs. I buy from them and off Ebay regularly.
I think you have a great father/son project. Good Luck. 
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 09:56:22 am »

I'd Be ALL over it for for $500 Now !! Go Get It  smile

Leonard

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 10:49:53 am »

I believe the drum may have been removed for some reason
in the past. The instruction plate in the center of the drum
is missing as well as the evaporator fan protection sheild.
I cannot see the indexing mechanism in the picture but it is
available aftermarket.
     This is still worth $500 just in parts.

Glen
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 11:38:15 am »

I believe the drum may have been removed for some reason
in the past. The instruction plate in the center of the drum
is missing as well as the evaporator fan protection sheild.
I cannot see the indexing mechanism in the picture but it is
available aftermarket.
     This is still worth $500 just in parts.

Good eye Moondawg!
I had noticed the fan shield, but not the index mech - looks like the basket reset might be missing too. It too is available aftermarket though.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 03:47:21 pm »

500 bucks.. BUY IT!!

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 06:39:02 pm »

The good news is that the machine cools due to the fact the the owner is a refrigeration guy.  He actually restores antique refridgerators and does some nice work!  The body appears to be solid but in need of a clean up and paint.

The barrel was removed at some point--good eye MD--and the hardware that secures it to the spindle has gone missing.  The coin mech appears to be complete but I could not confirm that it works as the coins just went right through to the return.  The key is missing and the locking bar is off the machine.

Time to consult the Funtronics book to formulate my offer.  I think signguy was correct at $350.

Comments?

I will keep you posted.

Thanks for all the input.

Tim
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 09:03:02 pm »

I have some additional pictures of the machine.  The body is solid although there is a lot of surface rust on the bottom.  Nothing a little clean up prime and paint can't fix.  The compressor is in good working order and was cooling fine when I saw the machine. 

Based on my "newbie's-eye" review of the machine, the following parts are missing and will be needed to get the machine working properly:

From Funtronics
Spring for Basket Release                                             $  4.00
Drum Release Wire                                                      $ 45.00
Washer and Retaining Ring for bottle basket                    $   1.00
Indexing Mechanism and coupling bracket                       $135.00
Shroud for evaporator fan                                            $ 26.50
Lock (replace due to lost key)                                      $ 12.00
Lower lock bracket                                                     $   6.50
Total                                                                       $230.00

Anybody see anything else missing based on the attached additional pictures?  While Funtronics has all of the above parts are there other reliable sources for some of these parts?

The coin mechanism looks complete and the flag and all the handles seem to be there.  I would appreciate an opinion from somebody who has worked on these before. hopefull

I was thinking of offerring him $300.00 in hope of getting him to settle at $350.00.  Does that seem reasonable?  I have received clearance from the War Department on this purchase--although I think I am going to have to sell my golf cart to make room in the garage.  Oh well, the walking will do me good!

My initial plan would be to just get it operational and plan to do restoration on the machine over the summer with my two sons.  That should keep us busy and out of trouble.  Of course, I will be asking a lot of questions!

I really appreciate all of the advice from all who posted today. 

Thanks again guys!

Tim
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 09:54:39 pm by mznb1u » Logged
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 09:56:19 pm »

Some more pics.
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 09:58:06 pm »

A few more pics.
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 09:59:22 pm »

The last two pics!

Thanks for your input guys!
Sodaman101
5 Cent Member

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 10:07:05 pm »

what you can just use the golf cart to transport your machines  laugh   ON another note is the inside bottom of that machine real dirty or real rusty? beyond that it looks like a machine ready for serious sanding priming and painting and then of course drinking.  smile
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2008, 10:50:13 pm »

It is a little of both Sodaman!  I hope to close the deal soon--but sadly the golf cart has to go.  I don't use it all that much anymore anyway and it is not safe to let the kids terrorize the neighborhood with it!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 11:06:45 pm by mznb1u » Logged
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2008, 07:19:35 pm »

You know. I didn't notice the missing parts until I looked at your lastest posted pictures. But even with the missing parts I still believe you have an excellent find. I would jump on the deal if given the opportunity to do so.

I tore down one of my vendo 39's over the last weekend and I have found that the bottom of the cabinet was rusted. Fortunately not completely through, but real close. I may need to have some weilding done to it after it gets back from the bead blaster. The cause...a little srcew that holds the cooling unit in place. The water leaked around that little screw over the years resulting in a huge mess in an area that is not easlily accessable with out tearing the entire cabinet liner out. And I payed $700.00 for my machine. I am still happy with the purchase though.
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 08:15:20 pm »

Thanks for the input RC!
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2008, 10:27:45 am »

From Funtronics
Spring for Basket Release                                             $  4.00
Drum Release Wire                                                      $ 45.00
Washer and Retaining Ring for bottle basket                    $   1.00
Indexing Mechanism and coupling bracket                       $135.00
Shroud for evaporator fan                                            $ 26.50
Lock (replace due to lost key)                                      $ 12.00
Lower lock bracket                                                     $   6.50
Total                                                                       $230.00

When you have been in this hobby for a while you will see more
Vendo 39's missing their drums than you can imagine. Just one would
provide all the parts you need, plus give you a spare compressor, bottle
door, coin door & bezels, coin mech, crank handle and backing plate,
breaker strips, etc. Sell the extra parts, you get the machine for free.

Show the seller the list of parts above (plus freight), then hand
him $300.00.  He won't find anyone else up to this challenge.

Glen
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2008, 08:41:57 pm »

Well, I will be picking up the Vendo 39 this weekend.   biggrin  We settled on $350 which seemed like a good price.  I plan to start on the restoration as soon as it gets a little warmer here in Michigan (as we are getting another dose of snow!).

I will be looking for a lot of advice from the guys who have resotred one of these before.  I hope mine turns out as good as johnieG's!  hopefull

I have been looking for a manual for this machine--parts and service hopefully.  I have seen a few different ones out there--any recommendations on which one is best?  I would also like to get a manual for my USS 64 if there is one out there.

Thanks guys for helping me with my acquisition!
MCarter
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2008, 09:23:16 pm »

I would get a manual from Harrison on Ebay. User name 459  If you have any questions give me PM.

Matt

RC VMC - 81 Orignal
Vendo V-56 Two Tone Round Top ~~ Currently in use
Seeburg 100 G Jukebox ~~ Restored
Minit Pop Popcorn Machine ~~ Restored
Cavalier 55-D ~~ Restored
Rockola 1426 ~~ Orignal--- For Sale
Chicago Coin Band Box ~~~ Restored
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2008, 11:31:02 am »

Congrats on your new purchase. Excellent deal.
Sodaman101
5 Cent Member

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2008, 08:33:43 pm »

Take Lots of  pictures of this...... pictures are always NICEEEEEEEE  biggrin smile
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2008, 06:56:54 am »

Thanks guys!

Believe me, I will take a lot of pictures.  If I don't, it may end up looking like my USS 64 when it goes back together!  biggrin

This should be a fun project for my son's and I.  My wife's family were Coca Cola bottlers for four generations so this will be fun for everyone!

Tim
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2008, 11:40:33 am »

Tim

I took a V-39 apart a little while ago... As long as you avoid the coin rejector there isn't much to it..
If I can do anyone and I do mean anyone can do it....

Dave
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2008, 02:09:15 pm »

biggrin  Well here she is in all her un-refinished glory.   biggrin  I also included a second picture that shows my USS64.  My collection has grown quickly being that I just started a month ago!

I'm going to round up the parts that I need to get her fully functional before I start the restoration.  Anyone with spare Vendo 39 parts out there, please let me know.  I am looking for everything I posted in my list earlier in this thread!

Thanks!

Tim
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2008, 02:35:45 pm »

Glad you are waiting to complete it before tearing it down. Since you will be
walking past it in your garage everyday I suggest removing the 4 screws holding
the bottle door and re-finish it now. It has to be done sooner or later but will make
the whole machine look so much better if done sooner.

Glen
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2008, 06:21:00 pm »

congrats on your purchase... wow,,, 2 machines in one month...Hope someone told you earlier that this is addicting...  oh
NO turning back now!!!  Way to go... the 39 is a great classic machine...
Can't wait to see the progress on it..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: