SMC Discussion Areas
April 27, 2024, 01:52:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Insulation for machine  (Read 29569 times)
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 08:00:46 pm »

I like the sound of this "Polyurethane and Polyisocyanurate foam". Working with sheets of insulation and cutting it to fit just seems much easier then guessing about the expansion rate of a foam, which by the way, I too have a lot of experiance working with. It's great for windows and around pipes during construction or at least prior to finish work, but very difficult to clean up off of nice surfaces such as paint or carpet. And it definately isn't coming out of clothes.

Line the bottom of the machine's interior with Por-15 or simular product prior to inserting the cabinet and that should handle the condensation issue. 
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 08:59:46 am »

Ok
Thinking about this Polyurthene foam boards or "Pink Boards" whatever they are called...
The problem I'd see is getting it packed in their tight enough? wouldn't there be pockets of air? or spots that the cold are would escape from?? I guess if dealing with a Square top machine, maybe not an issue of lining the outer cabinet wit hthe boards,,, but when dealing with a round top? the stuff doesnt bend, and you'd have "Gaps" where near the top corners of the machine, and also on the back side, unless you where able to do a precision cut where the two meet?

This is where the regular style insulation doesn't leave any gaps? 

Just another discussion point... i'd like to hear ideas on how to combat that issue?

Or is there some sort of lose fill you could pack in there? made of the same material with the same R value ??

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
G.Pope
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 12:08:51 am »

First, you will have to measure the depth of area you have from the back of the inner tub to the back of the cabinet (2 1/2"?). You dont have to bend foam board. Make a paper template of the inside of the back of the machine from top to bottom and side to side. Lay this on the foam and cut it out. Some machines it might fit in whole and some you might have to cut it into two pieces to fit it in.
This works best when the machine is on its back though. You might have to carve some little areas out on the foam for little things that sometimes protrude from the back of the inner tub.
You now have the entire back filled with solid foam.

Now what you are doing is building up the bottom, sides and top to form a space to just drop the tub into. Try to get the foam board to fill as close as possible the shape of the inner tub, so that when it fits in, you can hear the foam squeak.

I will do a drawing in the next few days and layout how an 81 would be fitted. I think you will be surprised how easy this is, and custom fit to the shape.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 12:19:03 am by G.Pope » Logged
teckman
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 07:16:29 pm »

Has anyone tried this polyurethane technique with an Ideal 55 Slider?
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 10:11:01 am »

Has anyone tried this polyurethane technique with an Ideal 55 Slider?

It wouldn't work that well on slider, the evaporative tubing that's attached to the inside on the liner will leave a 1/2" gap all around the sides & bottom.  although it has worrked nice on some chest coolers I've done ( for the bottom to replace the original hemp-board insulation)

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
teckman
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 10:32:04 am »

I was thinking about incorporating it into the polyurethane. Would that work?
bmw90w
10 Cent Member

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 10:53:11 pm »

Was this ever completed? Any pics?

Cavalier CS-96
Vendo 81-A
teckman
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 03:56:21 am »

If you are asking about the Ideal 55, the answer is no. Any help?
bmw90w
10 Cent Member

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 09:48:09 am »

No I mean if the sheets of insulation were used or not.

Cavalier CS-96
Vendo 81-A
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 07:47:31 pm »

I had my house foamed when i remodeled it. The R value is around 7 per inch. I've used the plastic wrapped fiberglass insulation. It's less a pain than the unwrapped and does keep the insulation dry. I think i'll try the rigid foam boards on the next one. That sounds like a very good idea.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: