SMC Discussion Areas
October 05, 2024, 10:24:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General Cleaning Tips  (Read 6760 times)
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« on: March 15, 2008, 09:22:54 pm »

I picked up my first machine today--the Cavalier USS-8-64 that I have been asking questions about.  The machine has had very little use but it is dirty and dusty from sitting around the back room of a barber shop for 30 plus years.  I was going to use the shop vac to clean up the dust in the compressor area; but, I was wondering about the rest of the machine.

I want to wipe the entire machine down--inside and out--and I was wondering what cleaners would be safe to use.  I was thinking Windex would do the trick for most of the areas but advice from the group would be much appreciated.

I will post some pice once she is cleaned up and vending cold drinks! happydrinkers

Thanks!

Tim
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 09:32:35 pm »

Hello Tim,
Welcome to the board!! I'd start with just hot water and a soft cloth. Generally gets most of the dirt build up off. I have a USS-64 as do several others on the forum so any questions just ask.
Creighton
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 10:39:40 pm »

It depends on how bad it is. If its a lot of sticky grime and stuff, I put the machine outside,remove the shelves, coin mech, sign,  and shoot it with Spray Nine inside and out. I then hit it with the pressure washer. That usually removes any grime, sticky sodas, or shop funk. I blow the motors and electric out with compressed air. Then I use some buffing compound and a buffing wheel. Then follow up with a hand coat of a good wax.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
Pat Pixley
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 11:38:15 pm »

Hello Tim and welcome to the site, We all have had machine like this dirty sticky
 and alot grim in them.
Best thing to start off doing  is get it open up and look for any broken glass in side
you dont want that in your drive way or yard (you dont want some stepping on any shared
of glass or pet's)  then you can start to wash it down like Creighton said Hot soapy water and give it a good wash insde and out ( dish soap work great Dawn) Then you can go from there . then give it good wax job and see how it turns out.

For some of the sticky stuff Bubba right, you may have to power wash it ,we all have done
that a time or too.

Well congrat's on your Cavalier Uss 64 It's a great machine to get started on in this hobby
and again welcome to the site

loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 11:47:59 pm »

I also like using simple green on the grimy stuff as well. I had a Pepsi V63 that looked terrible and after Kate and I used about a whole bottle of Simple Green on it it looked like new. We nicknamed the machine the Green Monster. Those were good times.
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 07:21:43 am »

Thanks for all the tips.  It is mostly accumulated dust and dirt so I think I will start with the dish soap and hot water.
aspbear
25 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 09:14:04 am »

These machines are tough and maybe if it is not to bad just some water and a rag will work.  What I do is wrap the wiring box with a bread wrapper, take the shelves out spray with simple green and fire up the pressure washer. Takes about 5 minutes and you have one clean machine....Yahooo

aspbear
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 08:35:52 pm »

I have got the exterior of my new machine pretty clean but there are a few tape marks that I need to deal with--little more elbow grease.  And I have the bottom of the machine around the compressor pretty clean except for one more wipe down.

The problem is in the inside of the machine.  help The shelves and walls appear very clean but there is an odor of mildew that is not overwhelming but it is annoying.  What can I do to clear the air and what precautions do I need to take when cleaining this area?  I thought about putting a box of baking soda in there but that might just mask the problem.

Thanks again for all of the advice.  I hope to have time to get some pictures uploaded this weekend.  The machine works great and it cools right down to about 30--need to adjust that up.

Tim
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 08:49:41 pm »

Hello Tim,
Goo Gone should take care of the tape residue. Diluted CLR and a nylon scrub brush will clean the shelves/liner of any mildew. Rinse well. Once clean and dry a box of baking soda is a good idea to keep the smell fresh until next time to clean.
Looking forward to the pictures.
Creighton

Pat Pixley
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 08:54:00 pm »

Hey Tim Glad thing are going well on the machine .
On the odor thing it could be from setting for a time and
not being used or from the insulationmay have got damp at
one time , It does happen from setting for a time.
some times that will go away after it been run for a will.

Pat
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: