SMC Discussion Areas
July 05, 2024, 02:26:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clear glass Pop Bottles?? Cant find a source for them  (Read 7142 times)
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« on: March 10, 2008, 06:11:02 pm »

Many have talked about bottling their own pop... and now I'm intriqued... but i spent 30 minutes today on Google trying to search sources for either 6.5/7 oz or 10oz or 12 oz clear Glass Bottles  that I can fill and cap?  Nothing.
Anyone here have a source for some plain clear glass bottles... I can find amber beer bottles but want clear.

thanks
john

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

Sorry, but it's a POP MACHINE!

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 06:53:16 pm »

What about all of the 6.5 oz. Coke bottles that you have?  I'm away this week, but I'll check my computer when I get home to see if I may have something bookmarked.
You might also try posting something at Root Beer World.  They have a home brewing section on their forum.  It's not a high traffic site, but you may get some responses.

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
The ultimate glass bottle soda site: www.GlassBottleSoda.org
My gameroom: Arcade80s.net
vend_dr
25 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 08:08:42 pm »

Anchor glass sells clear glass bottles. They have many locations but I know the plant in Shakopee Minnesota used to make the clear glass bottles not sure if they still do ore even if they wouold sell in smaller quantities but it never hurts to ask. Their website is www.anchorglass.com
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 10:28:44 pm »

Thanks for the replies... I'll check on  them

yes i have several 6.5 oz green glass coke bottles, and have used them... but also would like some clear glass to do the orange,roobeer and grape pops for the kids... I think that would be cool.
i've checked with several home brew and micro brew places as well without any luck...
Never thought it to be soo hard...I just want a case or two...

Even returnable beer bottles would work, but they don't use them much more either..

Thanks
John

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 11:33:30 am »

Never thought it to be soo hard...I just want a case or two...

Sorry I can't help you, but I have a story to share.

I was given several cases of 16 oz bottles as part of a machine transaction
last year. Well nobody want's tall bottles for thier machines so I was stuck
with them. I can't tell you how many times I almost dumped all these off-brand
bottles in the trash, but just couldn't bring myself to do it  help

A few weeks ago a guy came into the store and asked where he might
get some tall Coke bottles, (everybody always wants Coke)  tounge
        When he said he was going to the Mexican market to buy a
couple of cases of the tall Coke  bottles just for the glass, I asked
him why he needed so many bottles? He had 3 young daughters out
in the car and their school was having a carnival. His job was to find
enough bottles to set up a ring-toss booth! I asked if he had to have "Coke"?
When he said no.........I knew those bottles had a reason for survival.
       It was very rewarding hearing the excitement from those little kids
as we loaded all these bottles they had never seen before, into the back of
his Suburban.

Glen
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 08:19:41 pm »

Signguy,

I am new to the soda machine hobby but a long time home-brewer.  I am also cheap and do not like to pay for bottles.  In Michigan, we have returnables so I traded cans for the bottles that I needed to home brew at my local party store.  Although, I may have emptied quite a few in the process as well! drinking

A good clear glass 12 oz. bottle would be Newcastle Brown Ale.  They are not twist off so they can be cleaned and re-crowned.  They are shorter than a typical 12 oz. long neck and should do the trick.  See attached picture.  Of course, if you like Brown Ale, there is none better than Newcastle so you could enjoy your bottle collecting a little more if you want! happydrinkers

Homebrewer's bottle cleaning tips:

1.  To remove the labels, fill your laundry room sink/basin with hot water and dish soap.  Submerge the bottles and leave overnight.  The labels should just slide off.  Use dish scouring pad to remove excess glue or label remnants.

2.  To clean the bottles for use, go to your local homebrewing supply store and buy a bottle cleaning attachment for your sink spigot.  They are not too expensive and really do a good job.  Then place bottles on the bottom rack of your dishwasher on the posts and wash on high heat with heated dry.  Let cool and you have some very clean bottles to fill with the beverage of your choice.  You can also get good quality crowns and an inexpensive crowner at your local home brewing supply store.

3.  Rinse well after drinking the pop and then you can just do the dishwasher for future uses.

Good luck!

Tim
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 10:01:03 pm »

Welcome to the site Tim... Thanks for the tip... good info!  happydrinkers

So how long have you been making beer?

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 11:45:02 pm »

AWESOME Tip... and I actually like New castle... haven't had it much , but I think I'll become an expert this weekend putting down a case or two... Guess i'll have to have a party!??
oh darn.

Great tip, Thanks!!!

TechnoHat

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 07:33:08 am »

You could always try buying a couple cases of Jarrittos soda. They come in 13.5 oz clear glass bottles.  They have plastic labels that are very easy to peel off. 
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 09:12:25 am »

You could always try buying a couple cases of Jarrittos soda.  
I think I'll have more fun putting down a few cases of New Castle to get the bottles? biggrin

Also, Technohat, what was that soda that you gave me a 6 pack of when we met a few months ago?  that was good, thank you, but can't remember where those twist offs or pop off?
Those bottles would be good too? maybe I could get a few cases of those???

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: