SMC Discussion Areas
September 19, 2024, 06:15:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Original unrestored or dead mint restored  (Read 7318 times)
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« on: March 07, 2008, 12:40:40 am »

What do you prefer? Nice originals or dead mint restored show queens?

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 01:59:20 am »

Nice originals. No contest to me. But most machines need restored. So I do like restored machines as long as they are not over restored. I hate all of the pin striping and aftermarket decals.
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 02:33:26 am »

Unless the baby has been hidden away in a deep storage facility and
untocuhec by humanhands for 40yrs I'd go with restored... Ithas to pass
the wife test...

I'm sure there mustbe NOS machines out there somewhere....

Dave 
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 06:24:47 am »

IF I am buying one, I prefer the lower price of an original. If  I'm keeping it, it will be  restored,

And i have to agree with Josh,  I've seen nice machines  way over done, and excessive decals  and chrome   don't add to the  beauty or coolness of the machine.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 07:21:34 am »

As with the others, I would much rather see a one-owner, basement kept gem that just needs a cleaning and maybe some rubbing compound. But....like Josh mentioned, few and far between.

All of the Sprite Boy's and pinstriping....To each his own. I personally don't like all that jazz and would prefer to bring a machine back to it's former glory as close to original as possible. We all know that certain parts or procedures are either to costly to duplicate or the art of it has been lost or never developed for the hobbyist (silkscreening embossing!!) so we have to make do.

Brian
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 08:12:53 am »

That brings to mind a question I had just the other day. I am restoring two Vendo 110s, Yes, the big oversized ones. I just bought the shelves that I needed and I was thinking of NOT painting the interior of the machines, just for the reasons stated here about over restoring these classic pieces of Americana. There's no rust, it's just old looking. So what do you guys think?
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 09:18:10 am »

What are you doing with the outsides... If you are re-doing the outside I would suggest you do the same to the inards.. If the outside is just being cleaned up then the inside would look good with just a decent wash down....

Dave
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 09:20:50 am »

I'd guess I'd take a really nice clean original over a restored one too... but I have both in my collection, so I guess it's a love for both depending on the situation...The originals do have to pass the "can I get it in the house test" of course as Dave mentioned... I have two nice originals 44 and a 39 that are near minty... 56 and 81's are fully restored back to original, not overdone, but could be replaced if I find a nice original of each...
Great topic.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 09:23:39 am »

I was thinking of NOT painting the interior of the machines, just for the reasons stated here about over restoring these classic pieces of Americana. There's no rust, it's just old looking. So what do you guys think?
I agree with Dave, if your not redoing the outsides, then don't paint the insides... just clean it reall good, if there is rust, you may have no choice...
but once you restore on part on it .. it will look odd if the rest isn't and soon you'll be looking at it saying ok i di the inside, maybe I should redo the liner, well then the breaker strips, well that looks nice maybe i'll just paint the outside... well by then you might as well just strip the whole thing apart and do a total restore.
Good luck

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 11:21:04 am »

I am restoring two Vendo 110s, Yes, the big oversized ones. I just bought the shelves that I needed and I was thinking of NOT painting the interior of the machines,

There's no rust, it's just old looking.

I think you could first paint the exterior, add lettering, glass, chrome, decals etc.

The inside can always be painted at a later time, avoid burnout on your first machine!

Glen
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: