SMC Discussion Areas
April 26, 2024, 09:26:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting started restoring a VMC 27  (Read 29658 times)
spitzme

« on: February 22, 2008, 07:48:16 am »

Just purchased a rough VMC 27 A?B?  What is the best way to get started?  What should I attack first and how do I reproduce the logos and paint?
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 08:10:05 am »

Hi Yaand welcome to the site....

Have you got any pictures of your new baby??

Does it run and cool properly???

How much time and money do you want to invest in your project??

Is it a complete back to metal restoration or simply a smarting up job??

What are you going to be doing yourself and what are you going to get others to do??

There are apint codes listed on the site but really I wouldn't get to hung up about the absolutely right tone of paint for your machine. I let my wife pick the last shade.

The logos (decals) can be purchased from funtronics (for coke) and from Soda Jerk Works if you are lucky enough to have a pepsi version.

If you decide to strip the machine make sure you take lots of photos. Its not rocket science BUT it certainly comes in handy when you have bits left over and you can't remember where they go.

What I would say (and Ifound this out to my cost) before you strip down make sure the machine works properly. Its not point having a great shell if nothing works inside.

Before you do turn it on make sure the wiring is of a good standard. You don't want this to be your last project. Even if it looks good it might be worthwhile changing it. Not sure if this model has a wiring harness that can be purchased from the sponsers. Someone else will know. If it does then that's a good start.

Welcome aboard....

Dave
spitzme

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 08:45:10 am »

Thanks so much for the welcome and info!  It is a mess.  We are talking complete restore over the next decade.  (my wife wants to keep me busy)  I am going to try to do everything I can by myself, including some metal work.  Does not power up.. and I will have to replace the compressor and who knows what else.  If I end up making it a neat looking display/non-functional piece, then so be it.  It will still be fun!
Here is a pic...
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 09:27:22 am »

Welcome to the site... you'll be able to get all the help you need (information wise) from these guys...
Looks like it'll be a good machine, little cancer near the bottom, which will take some metal work...
Like Dave said, take lots of photos as you begin dissasembly...
and being your first ,get a few boxes of ziplock baggies and a marker and as you take peices off and screws and such,,, bag them up and label the bags... then keep you bags seperate (door parts) , (inside parts), etc... that will help on the reassembley or if you have to matchup screws and such with ones that need to be replaced with new ones, etc.

Paint and decals will be the easy part... looks like your challenge will be body work and figuring out thecompressor...

Good luck

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 09:44:00 am »

Have you checked out the wring to that compressor of yours...

Is everything dead... Fans etc...

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 12:28:40 pm »

We are very doubtful that the compressor is bad. Most likely only a fanmotor
problem. Dave is right, get it cooling and vending so you understand how it works
before you disassemble.
      You have a nice straight machine to start with, hope the rest of the base is
in better shape than the front as far as rust. I have a nice cabinet if you need one.
       Ask for help anytime, especially drum removal and re-install.

The picture enclosed if for motivation  happydrinkers
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 12:35:12 pm by MoonDawg » Logged

Glen
spitzme

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 12:45:19 pm »

Thanks so much for the ideas!  I really appreciate it.  Unfortunately, the side is worse than the front.  It is rusted through, so I am going to get very acquainted with metal working!
I will post more questions as they come up.  I love the motivational picture!  Thanks again guys!
-Mike

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 01:07:02 pm »

I kept this empty shell just for someone like you. You can have it if you can get it
picked up in Southern California. I would hate to send it to scrap metal.

Glen
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 01:21:53 pm »

Glen... That is awesome of you!!!!! Grab that cabinet Spitzme! A lot of time saved there
and money... I used FedEx ground to get a cooler from ND to MO and there are others
that have used other freight companies. may save you money and definantely time in
the long run! Keep us posted on the project! And welcome to the board.
I've noticed a few new members have joined in the last couple months we may need a
Who's Who on the board. Welcome... hope you stick around... if you like ol' soda machines
you're on THE best site... great guys (and a few gals) here...
Again...Welcome!

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 02:09:52 pm »

I can only echo what Eric has said.... Grab that cabinet... Glen's a top guy..

Take your time and by the summer you'll have a lovely fully restored vending machine that will be the envy of everyone.

That compressor I'm sure is simple wiring and perhaps a re-charge...

How about that.. You make your first post and you have people throwing stuff at ya..

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: