SMC Discussion Areas
October 06, 2024, 01:26:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pop cooler hunting in Mexico  (Read 2998 times)
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« on: February 19, 2008, 02:58:14 pm »

The wife and I took a week long trip to Mexico last week... Just got back last night... I went on a couple searches for any old soda stuff, but came back empty... so I guess it was a wasted trip.. biggrin laugh
All I got was some relaxation and a tan. darn
Oh well, nothing would fit on my carry on if I did find anything... but I did to enjoy plenty of Mexican Cokes with Cane sugar... mmmm Hard to go back to the regular stuff.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 03:09:24 pm »

I travel a lot myself, and I can't get over how much a bottle of good ole American Coca Cola taste abroad. Never realized it was the cane suger vs corn syrup thing. I guess I never put too much thought into it. Thanks for the memories.
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 06:07:25 pm »

Looks like I have made a couple of contacts with folks here in our border town that have extensive contacts across the border this past weekend while at the flea market.  They are going to help me find some old Mexican coolers/machines in the city across the border.  One of the folks is very willing to take me down to the two giant flea markets in Mexico to see what can be found!  Keep your fingers crossed for me that I can come up with some interesting stuff to show off to everyone, and maybe even trade off or sell, depending on what we find...will keep everyone posted!

Greg

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 07:05:03 am »

How easy is it to go backwards and fowards across the border...?

I've gone from The US to Canada and vice versa. That was easy, even for a foreigner. Perhaps its
slightly harder now after 9/11 but never been at the bottom end.

Its a big border... Is it all manned or are there parts that one minute you are in Mexico the next you are back with Uncle Sam and you'd never know...

Dave
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 10:33:07 am »

Dave ~
It was much easier last month to go back and forth across the border!  They just enacted the new rules, which don't allow verbal claims of citizenship.  You now have to have a gov't issued ID/driver's license and a birth certificate or passport to come back into the U.S. side.  In 2009, a passport will become mandatory and birth certificates will be out.  Going into Mexico is a breeze - they really don't check anything at all!

As for border manning, the border patrol has cameras and sensors along the border in many areas.  Here in my part of Texas (out in the middle of nowhere), we have 2 ports of entry - the bridge and the dam.  There are numerous places right around here that you could just wade across the Rio Grande River and be on the other side with no problem (since the river is the border for much of it's length).  Just watch out for the border patrol!  Some of our training routes take us right along the border, and there are times we fly back and forth right on the border as well.  Kinda cool!

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: