SMC Discussion Areas
April 27, 2024, 09:02:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fan motor screws stuck...  (Read 4764 times)
cokentn
« on: December 18, 2007, 05:11:48 pm »

I am trying to get the fan motor off of the 1972 Cornelius I have. It went bad right after I bought the unit.
They are not really rusted, but really stuck. It looks like a phillip screwdriver head, I can't budge em. I have sprayed em with WD40 and let em sit. The fan motor sits on a sort of a pedestal that has has 4 screws, this pedestal sits on that platform that pulls out. I don't feel a nut on the bottom to loosen.
The platform is partially pulled out and I can see the fan and removed it's plug.
Any ideas???
Thanks,
Mark
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 06:19:57 pm »

The platform is partially pulled out and I can see the fan and removed it's plug.

You are only 5 minutes away from pulling the whole cooling system out so
you can get your hands in there to work on it properly.

Glen
cokentn
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 10:21:49 pm »

SO, not knowing anything about that, woudl it be a BIG deal to just unhook everything and remove that whole platform? Could I not get it all hooked back up right later? or refrigerant or something else leak out? I can do anything with instructions. Well..not anything.
Thanks!
Mark
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 11:39:34 pm »

Hi Mark,
Welcome to the site! Not sure what type of Cornelius machine you have. Could you post a picture. Anyway hope this helps.

Take pictures of all the electrical connections and lable the wires. Unplug same. If the entire cooling system is on one deck just remove whatever bolts are holding it in place and slide it out. Careful to not bend any cooling system copper tubing. If there is a unit above the compressor it helps to get a friend to help you slide both assemblies out at the same time.

Best to build a stand first that will hold both units at the same distance that they were in the machine. Transfer to the stand without bending or twisting the copper tubing.   

Now you can replace parts/clean/polish to whatever level you choose. The cooling fin area should be cleaned and if a large area of bent fins is present they should be straightend.

As long as the refridgeration system does not get a kinked or split tube it should not lose any freon.
Creighton
cokentn
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 06:56:53 am »

Here is my machine:
http://soda-machines.com/component/option,com_gallery2/Itemid,28/?g2_itemId=3379&g2_GALLERYSID=aa223fe6fb8a33de6790916c34935db9

I'm not sure what you are talking about building a stand to keep the units the same distance. This is a deck with a compressor at the back, the fan in the middle and the condensor or whatever that is, in the front. A drip tray is attached to the left side.

I need to take it out cause of the garbage and junk that is in the bottom and clean it all out good anyway. And I probably can.
But, I'm telling you those screws are S T U C K no matter if I pull it out or not.
Mark
TechnoHat

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 09:21:34 am »

Depending on the size of the screws, sometimes using a vice-grip will work.  I had to do this on some of the screws on my machine as they were stuck and/or stripped out.  I would just grab the head with the vice grip and twist.  Sometimes it took a few tries as the vice-grip would slip off.  Either the screw would start turning or it would snap in half.  Either way I was able to get them off them.  Though in your case, it might not work as fan screws are usually pretty small.
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 10:02:41 am »

I had to drill mine out on my 56.
The stand that Creighton is talking about is to hold the top fan and pipes in place.
I have no idea what your unit looks like but lots of machines will have the compressor deck on the bottom and then pipes leading to the condensor unit in the compartment where the product is stored.
When you remove the whole unit the the top part becomes suspended in mid air, hence the stand to hold it in place. It doesn't have to be flash just bolt a couple of bits of metal strip together.

Dave   
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 11:00:46 am »

Ok you are confused because you can't get to the evaporator (cooling coils).
 Empty the soda cans then slide the dispenser unit out. It's not as difficult as you
might think. Remove a few nuts near the edges, unplug it's wiring harness and slide
it forward and out. It's a little heavy so have someone help you the first time.

Glen
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 11:03:12 am »

Mark,
Add to your gallery photos (or post in this thread) a straight-on picture of the inside of your machine including the compressor deck as you have it slightly removed and we can walk you through things.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
cokentn
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 11:26:35 am »

K, thanks guys. I'll do that tonite and post it.
Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: