SMC Discussion Areas
April 28, 2024, 11:32:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Refinishing and Decals  (Read 5034 times)
SGM
5 Cent Member

« on: December 09, 2007, 01:07:59 am »

I've taken the inside door cover off to take care of the rust, only place is the bottom 1/2 of the panel, the rest of panel looks great.  My question is how do I refinish the panel without destroying the wiring and loading diagrams and the stocking guide decal.  I was going to powder coat it but the decals won't hold up to the heat during baking.  I would like to keep the original diagrams because someone had kept notes on the diagrams in reference to bottle counts and it goes back to 1978.  (kind of neat) Do I paint around them?  Is there somewhere to get new diagrams?

Thanks,
SGM

Randy

CSS 12-96J
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 03:39:38 am »

Have you had a look at the extensive list of decals fun-troincs stock??

Steve at Soda-Jerk also has some.

I have a similar problem with my Jacobs. I have loading instructions and a service decal.
I tried to cover the service one with some masking tape (least stickist)  and all it did was lift some of the decal. My door liner needs to be re-sprayed so in the end I may have to sacrfice the original decal. I have taken photos in case I can get another made. 

collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 10:30:22 am »

Try using a little CLR in water and 000 steel wool. I bet it will clean up pretty good.
I don't think you will find that decal at either sponser, but take a look.
Like Dave said take a good pic of it before you do anything - that will preserve your future options.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

Sorry, but it's a POP MACHINE!

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 10:32:32 am »

You can remake them.  That's what I did with my Cavalier CS-80C.  I took a picture and drew over it in a graphics program.  Let me know if you would like a larger/full size version of either of these.

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
The ultimate glass bottle soda site: www.GlassBottleSoda.org
My gameroom: Arcade80s.net
SGM
5 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 01:12:30 pm »

Thanks for all the replies gentlemen, I'm still waiting for my catalog from Funtronics, hopefull it will arrive next week.  Hoping there will be a few different things in there I can purchase for my machine.  I think I will try the CLR and wool to see how that goes, the cover really is in good shape other than the rust spot along the bottom 1/2 in and I've taken care of the rust with a wire wheel.  What would be the best way to treat just the bottom 1/2 of the panel or if I've wheeled the rust away do I need to do anything with it.

dr galaga,

If I decide to powdercoat and can't find the decals anywhere would you be willing to reproduce mine for a fee?

Thanks again,
SGM

Randy

CSS 12-96J
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 01:44:40 pm »

Use the CLR then mask off the liner exposing only the rust line. Primer the
repaired area then a little silver paint if you want but this area will be hidden when you replace the gasket. This way you keep everything else original.

Glen
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 12:35:07 pm »

I wouldn't bother with the powder coating for this peice.. just mask off the parts you want to keep, clean it up as indicated in earlier posts and repaint with a Hammertone paint or someting to get a nice new look...

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
SGM
5 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 02:13:40 pm »

I painted the 1/2 in of rust along the bottom of the inside of the door panel last night with Rustoleum HAMMER silver paint to see what it would look like.  Amazing, I will mask off the decals and spray the entire outside of the door panel tonight.  I'll post before and after pics when competed.  Should turn out great.

Randy

CSS 12-96J
SGM
5 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 09:25:57 pm »

Been cold here in TX, haven't spent much time in the shed.  Finally sprayed the door liner with the Hammertone.  I ended up masking off the original decals, don't believe I will find new originals anytime soon if ever.  I was happy with the outcome.  Attached a few pics.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 11:01:52 pm by SGM » Logged

Randy

CSS 12-96J
Pat Pixley
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 09:54:55 pm »

before you but that door liner back on  take a look in your local Yellow pages
for a graphic arts  shop and take that liner with you and see if they can duplicate
the wiring /Loading decal & stock guide decal and get a price from them go check out two or three place's
 Just a thought.

Pat upside
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: