SMC Discussion Areas
April 19, 2024, 10:49:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A cavalier c4-80 in need of work  (Read 4156 times)
« on: April 14, 2003, 09:13:28 am »

My husband and I are looking for a b-day gift for my father in law and came across a Coca Cola machine (cavalier C4-80) at an antique show in Atlanta over the weekend but we are unsure whether to go ahead with the purchase or not.  Here are the details:
* Dealer is asking only $225 (I know how much these can go for which makes me wonder)
* Dealer says compressor works, we heard it come on but not sure if the machine gets ice cold
* Front glass is broken
* There is some rust on the inside (not extensive)
* There are some dings in the sides and it needs cleaning

Our situation is that my father in law would really like to have a neat, old Coke machine for his new garage and wouldn't really care if it was "mint condition" but we would like it to be attractive and usable.  We know NOTHING (and I mean nothing!) about restoration so we don't know if purchasing this thing is a good idea or not.  

Do you think restoring this thing to usable condition is something that two rookies could take on at a reasonable cost?  Do you think that the super low cost on this thing means there has to be some serious defect other than the obvious cosmetic problems?
Any and all advice is GREATLY appreciated!!
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003, 02:39:04 pm »

Doug,

There's nothing more depressing than having someone tell you a machine is functioning properly only to find out this in fact is NOT the case...

The price mentioned isn't considerable but I would make sure the machine cools down in less than 5 - 10 minutes. Someone may correct me here, but I have found that refrigeration units in soda machines cool down very quickly if the unit is functioning properly. My recommendation is to go back and have the man plug-in the machine in your presence(turn the thermostat to the coldest setting) and let it cool down for 10 minutes or longer if time is available. You should definately feel a temperature change! Listen for any unusual noises such as a fan blade hitting something, compressor attempting to start frequently or anything that just doesn't seem right...
As far as the coin mech and vending gear is concerned, this will need to be checked after or before you begin the cooling system check. I don't have any literature specific to a C4-80; as a matter of fact, I would like to see this model since I have never seen one... At any rate, this is a little more complicated to verify that everything is functioning...
deposit correct change and see if a vend motor activates after a selection is made (I'll assume this model is similar to the C4-96)... If not, there's a problem...
My second recommendation is to get the machine operational so your father-in-law can enjoy it!  If you have never stripped down a soda machine before, I would have reservations about a machine that is this complex for your first project... I good cleaning, lubing, buffing & waxing can do wonders!

My six cents,

Jim

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2003, 10:30:57 am »

You mentioned that your Father in law wanted a "neat old" coke machine for his new garage.
     Make sure this square top machine is what he had in mind.
He may have visions of the round corner machine, which have become popular in remodels. I have a friend who wanted an old coke machine. Her parents bought her a C-80 as a gift. She soon bought a restored Cavilier 72 for the house and the 80 was put into storage.
      As far as your C-80, the price is not too low, even if the compressor is working properly. The man can't sell it because of the style, size, and the work it will need. If he didn't sell it at the antique show for $225.00, I'll bet he accepts $100.00 for it now! This machine does have a lot of chrome, and a light-up sign, and can look real nice when shined up.      Glen

Glen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: