SMC Discussion Areas
July 07, 2024, 03:03:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Squaretop wiring question  (Read 1885 times)
96C
« on: September 18, 2007, 10:59:15 pm »

I decided to start rewiring my machine due to the wires being brittle and crumbling (especially around the condensor and evaporator).  I ordered a pre-made wiring harness and am waiting patiently for the mailman to come.

In the meantime, I decided to re-wire the door, light-up sign, bottle-door solenoids, etc.  The problem that I have run into is I know next to nothing about electrical and wonder if there is a big difference in the gauge of said wires.  I think they are 14 or 16 gauge?  I went to Lowes today and found that they only carry 12 gauge, strand (vs. solid) wires in the colors that I needed.

Can I use 12 gauge wire?  If I remember correctly, I should not go smaller in gauge than original, and voltage only drops appreciably for long lengths of wire if you increase the gauge size?  Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,
Dan
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

Sorry, but it's a POP MACHINE!

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 08:38:40 pm »

Yea, it would be fine to increase the gauge.  The only problem I would see is that the wire will be a little bit bigger in diameter, but that should be fine.  (And it's good that you got the stranded kind.)

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
The ultimate glass bottle soda site: www.GlassBottleSoda.org
My gameroom: Arcade80s.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: