SMC Discussion Areas
July 02, 2024, 04:39:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 23 restore question  (Read 4337 times)
acree42
« on: August 07, 2007, 11:58:31 pm »

I want to restore a Vendo 23 to put in my house.  I have six machine total right now, none of which have been restored.  I like the standard 23 which is all red but I like the deluxe because it has embossed lettering.  What is your opinion one taking a deluxe and painting it completely red including the top.  Would this kill the value of the machine?  I just hate the silver top.....

Thanks, Ryan
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 07:48:43 am »

It depends on what you want to do with it. If you are building it for yourself I would do it how you like. If you are building it to sell I would say go origional. Even if this restoration is for your own collection and you might sell it later on it will be easy to paint the top later down the road. I say go with what you like.
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 10:35:38 am »

Hey Ryan,

As loman4ec has stated, it is your call and repainting a lid is much easier than a portion of a machine!
My personal opinion for what it's worth is restoring machines/coolers to orignal paint schemes...

My six cents,

Jim

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 12:42:36 pm »

The silver was never Coca Cola's color to start with, so it looks lke an odd part of their lineup!

Secondly the silver never seems to throw as nice a gloss as the red.

I would paint it all red and still refer to it as a deluxe.

Glen
Pat Pixley
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 01:22:55 pm »

Ryan , welcome to the board glad your here.
As far as your 23 Like Glen was saying  Paint it red
It will look better plus you will feel better about it in
the long run.

Pat
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 09:19:48 pm »

Welcome aboard Ryan! I restored one a while back and painted it solid red. Looked great

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 12:31:47 am »

As far as the paint scheme, I'd like it with the silver. I have seen them with a later red/white cabinet look and I think they look pretty good also.
BUT, with that said, my original V23 manual does not designate a certain paint scheme for the V23, yet the only difference between the Standard and Deluxe models was features.
The Standard top was actuated by the spintop rotating and had a coin mech with 1 cog and a basic bottle door handle on top.
The Deluxe top was actuated by the 'star' knob and had an actuator with 3 cogs with a little fancier chrome bottle door handle.
The Standard cabinet had the embossed CC plate and 'ICE COLD' embossed just underneath and did not have bexels around the coin return, bottle opener or storage cabinet handle; whereas the Deluxe cabinet had the embossed CC plate with 'ICE COLD' embossed on the storage door and had bezels everywhere (BO, CR, lid handle & cabinet handle).
The Standard cabinet had decals for the BO, CR and Storage and none on the sides.
The Deluxe cabinet had BO, CR decals and 'Have a Coke' on the sides.

It is my opinion that you could order the V23 with whatever features you wanted. I have seen a lot of them on Ebay (most incomplete) and most seem to be a mixmatch of features.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 12:35:48 am by collecture » Logged

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: