SMC Discussion Areas
April 30, 2024, 01:37:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victor Topper Gumball Machine  (Read 8477 times)
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« on: August 07, 2007, 07:04:54 am »

About two months ago myself, my wife and daughter traveled up to Illinois for a family members 70th birthday party. A few days before going, my wife got a call from her Step-Mother wanting to know if I would like to have an "old gumball machine" that belonged to my wife's father who passed away last January. I said "that would be great!".

As the day approached I was filled with anticipation as to what make and model the gumball machine would turn out to be. I thought that it might some cheesy plastic globe and flapper job but also remembered that my wife's dad didn't dabble in junk. After arriving at the party we said our hello's to other family members and waited for her step-mother to arrive. Shortly after her arrival, she invited me out to her car to retrieve the mystery gumball machine.

When she opened the trunk I was pleasantly surprised! It looked to an old glass globe Oak Acorn gumball machine! I thanked her graciously for the machine and told her that I would take special care of it. Out of any coin op related machine that I own or have owned, this is the only one that has any sort of "real" value to it. My wife was very close to her father and his death was very tragic and that added even more to it.

On the drive back to Indiana I told my wife that I would research and restore this machine to the best of my ability. It turns out that it isn't an Oak Acorn at all, It's a Victor Topper. This is my first gumball machine and the learning curve had been a little steep. To make a long story short, here are some before and after pictures:

Brian
MCarter
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 07:31:28 am »

It looks better in Person !!!

Matt

RC VMC - 81 Orignal
Vendo V-56 Two Tone Round Top ~~ Currently in use
Seeburg 100 G Jukebox ~~ Restored
Minit Pop Popcorn Machine ~~ Restored
Cavalier 55-D ~~ Restored
Rockola 1426 ~~ Orignal--- For Sale
Chicago Coin Band Box ~~~ Restored
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 07:32:04 am »

I have the same machine here. They are really nice little machines.
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

Sorry, but it's a POP MACHINE!

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 09:33:49 am »

Nice job!  Gumball machines are just like soda machines...can't have just one!

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
The ultimate glass bottle soda site: www.GlassBottleSoda.org
My gameroom: Arcade80s.net
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 11:12:06 am »

Great Story and GREAT machine..... Yeah it looks lonely... you're gonna need a couple more....! Looks awesome!
check out www.crowriver.com for parts and stuff.. if you or anyone needs parts.

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 11:25:13 am »

Thanks fella's! Yeah, I've got my eyes peeled for another one that's for sure! Roger at Crow River is super. He's helped me a bunch of times on various projects. I recommend him highly.

Brian
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 03:04:37 pm »

Nice story. Its great to have an item with REAL history to it. How often do you drop a coin in the slot and wonder who has been there before you (or is that just mad old me)

I agree about the aaddictive element. I had two vending machines at Christmas. I've now got more than 20... I need help.

Dave

Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 03:18:26 pm »

Ha... I think the same thing too... What stories has my old phones heard... who stopped and pumped gas out of the pumps and into what model/makes of cars Who dropped a dime into or reached into the machines I have... If they could only talk and tell what they've seen and heard.

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 07:12:07 am »

Those very reasons have always been the draw for me. History!  biggrin

Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: