SMC Discussion Areas
April 24, 2024, 01:18:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cavalier 96 original paint schemes  (Read 5822 times)
« on: January 17, 2002, 10:30:19 pm »

I just purchased a 96 that has the original white door, red cabinent paint scheme.  I know that some of the Cav 72 machines came with the two tone paint scheme, but does anyone know if any of the 96's did too?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2002, 12:01:35 pm »

I have never seen an original one with the red front. I have seen quite a few restorations with it though. Judging from the prices I doubt it hurts the value at all. Based on that, if you like the red front, whether it was actually available or not paint it the way you like. You'll enjoy it more while you keep it, and if you sell it it doesn't appear that it will cost you anything.

Incidentally I picked up the same machine yesterday from an ad in the local paper. For $200!! Good condition with no missing parts either.

Nate
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2002, 04:16:57 pm »

Thats a great deal or should I say steal.  I paid $350 for mine, but I think you got a better deal.  Mine is complete except for the coin changer, but needs a total restoration, no rust though.  I know that there were some of the early 72s that were two toned, And probably there were some 96s as well.  I still think I will go with the white door style regardless.  I am actually getting tired of seeing the two-tone jobs that everybody puts on these things.  I just like to restore the machines to the way they would have been originally.
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2002, 08:42:11 pm »

I'd say both of you got pretty good deals on the machines!
In the Soda Machines Section, the photo of the Cavalier CS-72 is from an original brochure and it's paint scheme is Red w/ White top. These are actually the earlier versions in late '57 and early '58.

As for the CS-96, I have never seen actual documentation showing the paint scheme Red w/ White Top; but that doesn't mean they weren't painted this way. Only that I haven't come across any documentation proving it...

My six cents,

Jim

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2002, 10:25:24 pm »

Thanks for the info, Jim.  I have pretty much decided to go with the original paint job, but if you ever run across a definitive answer to this it would be interesting to know.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2003, 01:20:54 pm »

well, for what its worth, I have a 96 that I'm in the process of restoring.
It has the two tone red door, coin door all red. Definitely original paint scheme.
I paid $400 at auction, complete, working with a little surface rust, needs total paint, which for So Cal aint too bad.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: