SMC Discussion Areas
April 19, 2024, 03:02:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dating a machine from a serial number?  (Read 6001 times)
« on: January 21, 2002, 07:25:05 pm »

Is it possible to determine the date of a cavalier machine from the serial number.  I have a Cavalier CS-96-A  Serial # 278803.  If anyone knows how to do this please let me know.  Thanks in advance.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2002, 08:54:37 am »

Someone may know this, but we could get a good idea with some work. If we gather serial numbers for these and the 72 and realize they come from '57 to '59 we could estimate the date based on some statistics and assume constant production. I'll provide the serial number of my cs-96-A. I'll have a look tonight.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2002, 05:21:28 pm »

My official guess is that yours is a '57. I found a 72 on the web that apparently originally had the red and white front (very early only) and it's serial was 277227. Mine is # 286918 and one I saw on ebay is 294623. It appears that other models had different ranges for their serials, some much higher and some much lower. The total range here is ~17000 of a total production between the two of ~ 27000.

On a separate note, when I had my Vendo 23 apart I found the actual date stamped (in ink) on two parts. Right to the day. I don't know if Cavalier did this as well.

Nate
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2002, 10:21:14 pm »

Well, that sounds about right.  The thing you have to wonder though, is did the run the productions of the 72 and the 96 together since they were virtually the same machine.  If so, then there may be no way to tell exactly how many of each were produced.  When I take my 96 apart, I will pay close attention to see if I find any dates.    Thanks.
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2002, 08:41:20 am »

I would tend to think that a manufacturer like Cavalier would document production serial numbers; however, I have never heard anyone talk about this with regards to Cavalier machines...

Vendo was noted for stamping dates on various parts of their machines and coolers. I don't recall seeing this done on any Cavalier machies I've restored...

My six cents,

Jim

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2003, 02:58:56 pm »

Jim
How does Vendo date their machines, I have one from the mid 60's, I would like to know the exact year.
Thanks Jim ':cool:'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: