SMC Discussion Areas
June 01, 2024, 09:22:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendorlator vfa56bb  (Read 4789 times)
motor8463
« on: October 04, 2005, 08:24:32 am »

Hello again everybody, Well I finally got into the machine and have everything working well. I wanted to get everything going before disassembly and restoration. Anyway, I discovered three wires connected to the can punch? Appears to be a hot,neutral,and ground-black,white,and green. Can't figure out why though, any thoughts?
Thanks, Chuck
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 10:30:15 am »

Chuck,

Hello again to you!  I have a VMC 56 can machine probably identical to yours.  Back in the day, there weren't pull tabs on the cans, so the machine had this gizmo to poke a hole in the can for you.  The wires sent a small electrical voltage to the opener to keep it sanitary (something about that seems a bit fishy).  Anyway, there is a fuse, capacitor, or something buried inside the puncher portion (I took mine apart to paint it).  The easiest thing to do is remove all those wires and forget about replacing them.  They also connect the main wiring harness at the Jones plug (9-pin rectangular thing from the coin mech) receptacle.  I carefully took apart the receptacle and cut the can puncher wires from there too, making sure not to disturb any of the other wires.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
motor8463
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 11:17:14 am »

Wayne, Thank god for you!  You're right, it does seem rather fishy. I believe I'll follow your advice and do away with this feature.  Also, I noticed a hole under the sign which is solid metal. I assume you could add a socket to this hole and replace the metal sign with the plexi sign to make it light up? I would be interested in converting the sign if I could locate a decent plexi one. Can I wire into the vending door light or should I run a separate circuit? Do you know where I can get the sign, socket etc...? Anyway this is my first machine but I am certainly enjoying messing with it. Beats the heck out of police work, great stress reliever. Thanks for all of your help and patience.
Chuck
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 11:26:42 am »

Chuck,

Glad to help.  Several folks on here have made light-up machines out of non light-up ones.  My can machine is non light-up and I didn't change it.  I'm sure some one on here can tell you where to connect the wires.  Basically, you can get a light kit from Home Depot or Lowes and wire it up.  
Funtronics (one of our sponsors) may sell the sign.  I'd check with the folks here first.  Often, people have parts they are willing to sell cheaper than buying new.

P.S. Don't forget the pictures!

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 04:32:56 pm »

It's the wiring to the heater, to keep the can-punch at 140-degrees to Sterilize it, and it's really  not necessary to hook it up again, unless you're palening to open some 45 year old steel cans of soda!

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
jasmine64
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 04:41:24 pm »

There was a guy in Gulf Shores Ala that was selling steel cans at the
flea market there a couple years ago, This was before I bought my first
machine and was looking around flea markets for bottles and machines.

Those cans were already punched though.

Wish I had paid more attention.

Marsha

Cav. CD 22
Choice Vend 168 - Use daily.
motor8463
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 05:23:37 am »

Thanks again to all who replied!! A heater on the can punch, go figure. Never heard of such a thing. I only remember steel cans as a young boy, never thought much about germs back then

Chuck
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: