SMC Discussion Areas
July 02, 2024, 05:16:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another ot: removing/wiping hd in old mac classic  (Read 3112 times)
« on: September 04, 2005, 02:41:12 pm »

I want to sell my old "Macintosh Classic II" for just a few bucks locally on Craig's List, but to protect my identity, etc., I don't want to give it up until I can wipe/erase the data in the harddrive.

Anyone know how to do that in such an old computer?

Thanks so much,
~Markito
vendobaldtops
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 02:56:37 pm »

Kito,
You need to delete all those pics of soda machines your wife doesn't know about?  You can bring those things down to a local computer store and they will wipe out the hard-drive for a nominal fee.  Check the yellow pages.
vend_dr
25 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 05:18:47 pm »

You may want to try killdisk I don't know about Mac's but I have used their program on pc's in the past with very good luck. Their program is free to download.

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 11:58:15 pm »

I'm a Macintosh repair technician. I can't imagine you'll get much, if any money for that model. If you have an old copy of Norton utilities, you can wipe the drive pretty effectively yourself. I would recommend finding a Mac User's group near you for help. Here's where to find your user's group: http://www.apple.com/usergroups/find/ Good luck.
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 07:40:33 am »

littlegraphix thanks for the input and welcome to the group here!!!

Yeah, I figure the cost for software or a service would end up costing more than I could get for selling the computer.

I just hate to end a computer's life, kinda like ending a soda machine... feels like a crime.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the advice.

~M
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 09:09:21 am »

O.k., so if I sell it or give it away free for parts, how can I open up a "Macintosh Classic II" to remove the harddrive? Anyone know? littlegraphix?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: