SMC Discussion Areas
April 27, 2024, 04:50:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coin mech fixed - mechanic did a lot for only $125  (Read 3821 times)
« on: July 19, 2002, 12:58:39 am »

Finally, everything is working perfectly !!! I would highly recommend Steve Jebb of www.thesodajerkworks.com

He fixed my coin mech, which, as it turns out has been through a lot over the years - and basically almost rebuilt the darn thing. He remanufactured parts, replaced springs, remounted parts, welded, realigned, etc.  . . .  and he charged me a mere pittance!!  In addition, when I called him with questions, he took time to explain everything clearly to me.  I now understand quite a bit about how my coin mech works.  Here is his description of what he did:

"The coin mech seems to be about 3 coin mechs put together.  This is not necessarly saying anyone did anything wrong as it could have been done much earlier in its life by several different repair people.  I'm saying it because several parts have not fit together correctly.  There were a couple minor parts missing, I have been able to duplicate them and they are currenly installed. One is the rod that actuates the slug rejector so that the coin mech will not accept a coin when there is already a coin in there.  Two, the spring that holds the carriage was very weak and I replaced it with a new one. Also had to change location of the mount for a spring.  The carrier for the coin carriage appears to be one of the parts that probably was not original to this unit.  This is the reason I had to move the spring location down. After all that - the coin mech accepts 2 nickels perfectly but it hangs up on a dime.  I then performed a little welding on the dime finger (using silver solder) and that took care of it.  It was  just a little worn and needed to be built up to make early contact with the dime. This is what "unlocks" the crank rotation."

Now that I have it back, the stroke of the crank is much smoother, and the whole thing just feels more solid than before.  He also cleaned the slug rejectorand added that rod that he stated in his description - for free.

He also repainted my coin door due to an accidental scratch, but instead of a regular paint job like I was expecting, he also polished all  the bezels (coin return and bottle opener) so that they now look like chrome, and he did inlaid lettering in red for all the letters that are recessed into the steel.

OK guys, no more need to say "I can't find anybody", etc.  This guy is good - really good.

ls
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: