SMC Discussion Areas
October 05, 2024, 06:27:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shipping issue  (Read 5212 times)
firemun
« on: April 27, 2005, 09:19:51 pm »

Hey everyone,
I just took delivery of my “rare embossed” Coca Cola Ideal 55 slider I bought in March.  I used craters and freighters to ship and they really did a good job.  The machine was shrink wrapped, then bubble wrapped, then Styrofoam packed around it.  Then a custom cardboard box then shrink-wrapped again.

Here is what gets my goat; there was a little tear in the side of the box…like something caught on it.  I ripped it open there and seen it was a nick in the hinge of the coin box on the side.  Not too big a deal so I let it go.  Then I unpack it tonight and see that the nick looks like it was caused by the fork of a fork lift as the whole side of the machine is caved in the front bulged out now.  Other than that it was a great perfectly straight no rust machine.  

Of course the freight company was closed, so I will find out what they are gonna do about …I hope they will help me out ….but I did sign off on the receipt .

Anyone ever have something like this happen to you?  Craters and Freighter did a great job, looks like SAIA is the problem.

I sure would hate for the money I spent on this thing to be down the toilet.  
Kevin C
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 07:53:25 am »

Hello

Nobody involved will step up to help with this because you signed the recept. You should have opened it as soon as you saw the tear in the wrapping. Your only recourse will be if you bought insurance on the machine. I think you are going to take it in the shorts.

Kevin

Vendo 63-C   On the job
Vendo 56   Going back together
Vendo 56-C    Waiting for rehab!
Vendo 126  Rough outside but loaded & operational
Vendo 110  Under repair
Ideal 55 -  **For Sale make offer
Glasco 55 -  Waiting
Royal 650  On the job
Lance Snack Machine - On the job
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 10:06:59 am »

Sorry to hear the bad news. I feel for you.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 11:42:56 am »

If the coin box took the hit, it's backing plate must have pushed the side in.   It may well be possible to pull on the same spot and reverse the impact.
        It would require drilling holes through the backing plate, but they will be covered by the coin mech anyway.
         You could buy or borrow a dent puller or a bodyshop could hook up to it and give it a good whack, while you watch.
         Even if the liner had to be removed, a hit in the right place and you still may not need paint.

Glen
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 12:49:41 pm »

I take delivery of a lot of exspensive epiupment all the time at my store and yes, Saia is the worst.  The best I have learned is that you can call the company and raise #### with them and have them come out and inspect all of the packing items.  Internal damge can still be covered if you can show them all of the packing material.  It is worth a shot.
firemun
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 03:28:15 pm »

Thanks for the input everyone.  I have contacted them and have filed a concealed damage claim.  We will see what happens.

I did have it insured for $1,000.00.  I do not know how much to put on the claim for the damage amount, it is hard to say...as I am not sure how much one of these embossed ones are really worth.  I have seen them from $1,000.00 to over $8,000. restored.

Jeff
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 11:00:01 am »

Jeff, Go for the full amount.

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 01:28:24 pm »

Yeah Jeff, I'd go for the full amount of cash too. It's not like you're trying to fleece 'em but, Such is life. Sorry to here about the damage.

Brian
firemun
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 09:22:33 pm »

I submitted a claim today for $1877.00.  $1500.00 for the slider and 377.00 for shipping.  I figure they will give me a return offer less than that and if we negotiate, maybe I will come out even.

Craters and Freighters said they will honor the insurance if the the freight company balks.

I will keep ya'll updated.

Jeff
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 10:55:38 pm »

Bad deal hope all works out well!!
I wouldn't budge from your claim amount. It's their mistake and they should pay for fair damages.

Words like "lawyer", "small claims court" and "better business bureau" tend to speed things up. Ask for a supervisor and start with them. Never swear, they can hang up at that point.
Creighton
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: