SMC Discussion Areas
March 29, 2024, 12:21:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chicagoland 2021  (Read 2009 times)
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« on: November 08, 2021, 07:37:40 pm »

Does anyone still go to the show?

A lot of stuff.
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 08:14:29 pm »

I haven't been able to attend due to my new home and shop construction projects that has kept me side-lined for the last couple of years.  I'm there in spirit since I'm having two cigarette vendors delivered to the show and someone is delivering them to Florida...
I think participation is down because the new facility and show promoters are not favorable for the outside vendors...

My six cents,

Jim

Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 07:54:37 am »

That's why I don't go.  They took the fun out of it.

A lot of stuff.
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 11:33:52 pm »

I haven't been in 3 years.. it's a little farther and just doesn't seem the same... Still love the stuff... just do local shows around here and watch for auctions...
Road trip down to Joey's he's becoming a mini-Chicago show...

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 11:45:49 pm »

The show was not bad...  Of course, it could have been better!

The number of outside vendors was down from Pheasant Run days and even from years past at Grayslake.  I'm sure the "pandemic" has some people scared.

Weather was cold just a week or 2 earlier would probably help quite a bit. I saw people posting pics on facebook with it empty.  Those pics were taken early! The inside was almost full and busy! The parking lot was full Saturday morning. I ran into a guy from Dallas who was so excited. It was his first time and he loved it!

The promoters could do a better job on social media and advertising.  Maybe they are a little to "old school" for that. It's still a show I'll attend even having to pay to shop outside.  I can't imagine what it costs to rent that place for the weekend. All the posts of doom and gloom were from people who did not even attend! Maybe they should try and put on a show like it. 

Bottom line is : It is not Pheasant Run. It never will be. Change is not always a bad thing. Pheasant Run had stuff on both sides of the road years ago. Was everyone bad mouthing it when that change happened?
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 07:31:19 am »

"Pheasant Run had stuff on both sides of the road years ago. Was everyone bad mouthing it when that change happened?"

I was because that's where the beaten down stuff/treasures use to be.  Most of it was junk, but there was plenty to sift through.  Of course this was pre Ebay/internet days.  That alone brought more sellers to the show.

The show (pheasant Run or Grayslake) is to glittery know.  Actually for many years.  Years ago the inside didn't just have professionally restored polished goods, you could actually find things of value that needed work at a reasonable price.   I still remember seeing a box of three or four Popperettes flipped upside down and sideways and telling my wife "That's the popcorn machine I saw on Kim's web site (the only internet source to see a Popperette picture at the time)."  Then I said something to the effect of "Too bad I don't know anything about these or I might buy them."  Sure wish I could go back about twenty two years.   

A lot of stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: