SMC Discussion Areas
March 28, 2024, 03:49:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1965 westing house wb-66 compressor starter / relay? Replacement.  (Read 1632 times)
ussexplorer
10 Cent Member

« on: July 12, 2021, 10:46:47 pm »

A couple of years back. I found my compressor on my Westing house wb-66. cycling on and off. Very warm inside. Upon testing I connected the compressor directly to the ac plug and fired up no issue. I cleaned up some kind of starter pin looking thing. That seemed to solve it. But towards the end of the year. Same thing again. So I know nothing is wrong with the compressor. Just the unit. But I cannot find a replacement for it. The closet I could find was other machines from that time. All used the same system.  I stole this picture. But see the thing wrapped in wire. That is it. That is what I clean. But due to carbon? build up. No good. Would like to get modern replacement for a permanent fix.  Thank You, Josh

johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 07:05:07 pm »

you mean you ant find a replacement compressor or the entire cooling system assembly?   you could just replace the whole start/run relay mess with a 3-in-1 starter/booster ( it's a 1/5 HP compressor on this Westinghouse) & simplify the wiring.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 07:13:11 pm »

You could also try here... https://www.vintagecola.com/product/westinghouse-vs56-replacement-cooling-system/  they sell some replacement Westinghouse decks, maybe they can help.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
ussexplorer
10 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 08:13:51 am »

Yes, that is what I was looking at doing. Is just replacing the starting relay. I looked around and found out that was a type of starting relay. But I didn't find anybody yet breaking down the wiring. I do know the basics of the wiring. But I would had to order a 35.00 or starter and wire it in wrong. I looked this up a few years ago. The way the wire block is designed it kind of stupid. All in one plastic cover going all over the place. I thought I took a close up picture a few years ago. But either I didn't or cannot find it. If it was a newer compressor with wires off the compressor. That would be pretty simple. But on this style I think I just got a power cord. But that to me does not make since. Unless the power cord is routed through that starter thing first and then to the compressor. I'll dig up some more pics and check out that link.

Thanks,

Josh
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: