SMC Discussion Areas
March 28, 2024, 05:25:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is " JR U.S. PAT. OFF " Printed/Stamped/Screened on Coke Machine ???  (Read 2408 times)
vintagevendo

« on: March 02, 2021, 04:03:58 pm »

I have Vendo 81A manufactured in April 1955 … it has the original factory paint and has never been repainted or touched up

On the main door it has the following words printed/stamped/screened on it in black paint …

J R U.S. PAT. OFF.

It's centered and placed just below the word Coca Cola … and just above the word Bottles

I have owned this machine for many years and have always wondered what it means ???

I have never seen that wording on any other Coke Machine … or any thing else … Have You ???

I look forward to hearing your thoughts … Thank You !!!

Jess
vintagevendo

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 04:34:40 pm »

I tried to post a photo … no luck yet ???
vintagevendo

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 08:26:41 pm »

Here's a photo of the " JR U.S. PAT. OFF. " lettering on my Vendo 81A

Has anybody ever seen this before or know what it means ???
vintagevendo

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 08:43:43 pm »

Here's a full photo of the machine
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 08:56:54 pm »

no idea..but it's not supposed to be there, trade names are copy righted, not patented... I think someone was just trying to impress a potential  buyer(s) by dolling the machine up with an impressive rubber stamp over the repainted door.  they probably couldn't find anybody to paint a "copyright" "C" ampersand  ( looks like an "@" noly with the "C" inside instead of an "a"

unless it's referring to JR Watkins artificial spice extracts ( vanilla, black walnut, etc. ) Watkins was famous for making an artifical Vanillia extract which was cheaper to buy during the great depression...my Grandmother had some in her baking cupboard when I was a kid.  now that was Patented and copy-righted...  biggrin

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
vintagevendo

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 03:16:27 pm »

Sorry JohnieG … but you're wrong on this one !

Trade Names like Coca-Cola , Pepsi , Dr Pepper are Registered Trademarks … and usually marked as such with an " R Inside a Circle " or the words " REG. U.S. PAT. OFF. "

They are not usually considered Copyright as you said … common examples of Copyright are usually the written word/content of books , songs etc.

It was a common practice for a company like Coca-Cola to use the words - " REG. U.S. PAT. OFF. " on their advertising under the word Coca-Cola … which is just  another way of saying the same thing as the " R Inside a Circle " … it means that the word/words they're attached to … is a REGISTERED TRADEMARK

Today … the government office responsible for this is the  - U.S. PATENT AND TRADEMARK OFFICE

OK … back to the reason for my question and the topic of this Post !!!

I am just wondering if anyone out there has ever seen this abbreviated wording … " JR U.S. PAT. OFF. " on ANY Coca Cola Vending Machine … or ANY OTHER TYPE of advertising … Coca Cola or anything else ???

The mystery here is … What does JR mean ???

The machine it's on is a Vendo 81A with original factory paint … it has never been repainted

And by the way JohnieG … it has nothing to do with JR Watkins Vanilla Extract … ha ha ha

johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 12:38:34 pm »

don’t blame me, google kept returning the “JR Watkins”  when I tried to search the phrase “JR PAT Off”

Meh... IMO it looks hooky anyway, just sayin’
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 12:40:21 pm by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: