SMC Discussion Areas
March 28, 2024, 06:25:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cannot get units re-charged  (Read 4189 times)
James_Douglas

« on: July 12, 2020, 12:36:50 pm »

Hi All,

After spending this last winter taking apart and rebuilding both my Ideal 55 Slider and my 1946 Kelvinator Shop refrigerator...

I cannot find anyone in or around San Francisco that will come out and re-charge them. With anything. The guy that came out and evacuated the Ideal 55 is no longer around. The Kelvinator works but ice blocks where the line comes into the ice box. I tried the process of heating the ice box to get the water-oil "mayonnaise" to get back down to the compressor...it did not work. It is too bas as the thing cools great but after two days the thing blocks and the compressor runs and runs...it will over heat.

The Slider of course had to be evacuated to get it apart. Not too bad inside other than the bottom metal plate was not looking to good and the insulation had had it.

Anyone have any ideas? I have two nice looking units that are now door stops.

James.
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 06:03:52 am »

If nobody local can be found or is willing to work on the units, you may have to package/ship the unit to someone...

My six cents,

Jim

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 10:32:43 am »

Not sure about the Kelvinator but we can fix the 55 if you can get it down south to Ventura.

Glen
James_Douglas

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 02:40:01 pm »

I have not been able to find anyone locally. So, I am going to purchase the tools and do it myself. Since the units are evacuated of R-12, I do not need to worry about that.

Anyone want to chime in on the list of items I will need?

I am assuming a pump with a set of hoses and gauges. A leak detector of some kind. Then I have to decide what to charge them with. I looked over the list and all the below are on the EPA ok list as retrofit. Anyone have any idea which works the best?

Freeze 12
R-416A
GHG-HP
R-414A
GHG-X5
HFC-152a
R-414B
R-402A
R-402B
R404A
R-406A
R-409a
R-420A
R-427A
R-450A
R-513A
THR-01
THR-02
THR-04

R-600A
R-290 (Propane)

James.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 05:22:16 pm »

Hi All,

After spending this last winter taking apart and rebuilding both my Ideal 55 Slider and my 1946 Kelvinator Shop refrigerator...

I cannot find anyone in or around San Francisco that will come out and re-charge them. With anything. The guy that came out and evacuated the Ideal 55 is no longer around. The Kelvinator works but ice blocks where the line comes into the ice box. I tried the process of heating the ice box to get the water-oil "mayonnaise" to get back down to the compressor...it did not work. It is too bas as the thing cools great but after two days the thing blocks and the compressor runs and runs...it will over heat.

The Slider of course had to be evacuated to get it apart. Not too bad inside other than the bottom metal plate was not looking to good and the insulation had had it.

Anyone have any ideas? I have two nice looking units that are now door stops.

James.

RE: your Kelvinator, have you thought to try adding some “Thaw-zone “  to the system to help with your internal icing problem?

Insofar as your replacement refrigerant selection, the majority of the listed gases are only for use & purchase by EPA certificate. So a (reputable ) supplier won’t sell you any, Freeze 12 is a good retro fit for R12 systems but don’t forget to get the adapter/hose fittings for the special thead n the smaller 12-16 oz. cans. 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 05:27:39 pm by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
James_Douglas

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 05:26:00 pm »

Well,

Just as I was going to buy all the equipment to do the Ideal 55 and my Kelvenator Fridge myself...

A friend found a guy in this part of San Francisco doing refrigeration at corner stores.

He has a nice man working for him a few days a week that is 81 years old and has been retired for years. He is tired of sitting around so he works now and then.

He walked up an smiled and said, an old pancake compressor. It took him an hour. He vacuumed the thing to 30 and it was rock solid. He had some R12 and put it in. It is cooling very good.

My factory Ranco thermostat I think is sticking and I took it apart to clean it and the contacts. Now the dame thing ---I cannot get the parts back together as it takes a jib or 6 hands!

I am going to try it again tomorrow before I break something.

On my fridge, he wants to take the R12 out, cut the lines, put in a dryer, then vacuum and put r12 back in.

Hip Hip Hurrah!

BTW, anyone have a part number for a good replacement thermostat for an idea slider?

James
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 08:01:31 pm »

this is a prior post on a typical T-stat...

http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,22722.0.html

it will work on a slider. but you'll have to coil it up to get it into the thermometer well/ housing tube that's attached to the inner wall from below the machine,

also don't be so lazy, we have a nice search feature here on the site, just type in your key word(s)  tounge
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 08:03:37 pm by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: